Wheels

Discussion in 'Electrical & Mechanical Issues' started by jfocallag, Jul 23, 2013.

1. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

Let me start by saying that I am going to take the trailer in and have it check but was just interested to know others opinions.

I just got my trailer from storage. When I got home I noticed that the passenger side hub was hot. I took the hub cap off ( first time I have done that) and the inner hub (wheel bearing dust cover?) was really hot. I jacked up that wheel and when I rotate it, at some point in the rotation you can hear a rubbing sound. Any ideas?

If it turns out to be something serious, I may not make Mossyrock or may come with my tent.

2. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Yep, take it in right away, direct... don't pass go... Les Schwab was able to do mine apx $200 or so... wheel bearing.. you can drive it still to the shop assuming it's not far.. couple of miles... but not much more as it will ignite if really, really hot.. I have a post here, with photos... will post in a minute...

but yes, Bearing is burning out... just needs replacing and you'll be good to go...

be right back..

3. fpoole

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  4. jfocallag

Frank, I saw your post about wheel bearings but no pictures. I did have the bearings pack just a little over a year ago and was planning on taking the trailer in to have it checked before heading to WI. Hopefully, I can get it in tomorrow or first thing Thursday morning. How long did it take to replace the bearings? And did you leave the trailer there?

5. fpoole

pics: Note the axle is NOT, repeat NOT in the center, it's down on one side indicating burned out bearings...
    I drove it for a while, friend noted it smoking, stopped the drove it a little further... so it's doable, or was for me. No axle damage, just the bearings... if they have them.. sigh..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. jfocallag

Thanks for the pictures Frank. I don't think that it is this bad. I removed the hub and axle does look like it is still centered. Also, the hub was not as hot as an iron. I could touch the hub and hold my hand on it but the axle was hotter and I could not hold my hand on it more than about 10 seconds. We will see....

7. fpoole

Yah,then the biggest hassle will be if they have the part... should be ok.. they can get them quickly... if they don't have it...
    Passenger side eh?? Hmm...mind too... curious...
    Good luck..

8. jfocallag

I am wondering if the brakes need adjusting? Could this make the hub hot?

9. fpoole

No, but the brakes and drum apparently can get scored... should be ok.
    It's just the bearings sometimes are bad and if grease leaks out or they pop out of whack then the axle starts to grind them down, generating heat to temps you can't even touch the hub cap... thus the smoke... it's just like grinding two sticks together.. the more you do it and the faster, it'll start to heat up..
    You should be good to go once they pop off the wheel, slide the new bearing on and put wheel back on... not a big deal if that's all it is.. 30 min if they have the part/bearing.. at most..

I had to leave mine at Les Schwab's parking lot on a Sunday.. was a little nervous about it as it was sort of behind the main shopping center just sitting there. worked out ok, just replaced the bearing, Axle/brakes/drum were all fine... and mine was smoking and too hot to touch. You're just starting out so should be fine...

Hope that helps...

10. jfocallag

Thanks Frank.

11. JB

JB Novice

Joan,

Get it checked out, do what it says in the owners manual to see if the bearings are loose, I don't have the brake option but that could be a cause for concern as well.
    Always a good idea to jack the CI up from time to time, spin the wheels and listen for any unusual noise or grinding sounds. If it sounds bad it probably is.
    Glad I checked mine recently, had a rough sounding bearing and sure enough the grease seal had failed allowing water in and the inner bearing was on it's way to failure as well.
    These things happen and now I carry a spare set of pre-packed bearings, grease seal and cotter pin in a zip lock bag, if you can't do the work yourself you will still be way ahead. All for pretty short money if you get stuck on the road miles from anywhere.

J&B

12. fpoole

"Pre-packed bearing..."

Interesting idea... good to know.
    I would guess a quick Google would bring up the supplier and match to the part number assumed in the manual... will have to check.

While they're supposed to be good for what 40k miles.. it does happen.

I try to just haul the TD into the shop, I use 'Les Schwab' in the PNW area, each year for general inspections, brakes, bearing etc.. and lube/adjust the hand brake as it becomes difficult or useless after a bit when it stretches I guess... so far so good.. Albeit, the bearing went out after their servicing... just a fluke... heheh...

13. jfocallag

Dropped the trailer off at Les Scwab this morning at 8. They will fit me in. Didn't like leaving it there but not much choice. Hopefully, I can pick it up this afternoon.

14. fpoole

Yah, I felt a little weird leaving mine too, on the daily services, but they'll take good care of it..

I assume that they had the bearing part and they'll lube the rest too, just to bring it up to par...

You should be good to go by end of day...
    Sweet, you avoided a huge expense, good call.. heheh..
    It's always something eh??

See ya tomorrow...

15. jfocallag

I don't know if they had the part. They said they would give me a call when they had a chance to look at it. So far, nothing. They are open until 6. Due to work, I can't pick it up between 2:30 and 5 so I am hoping they call soon. Worst case scenario is that I pick it up tomorrow morning. If I don't hear from them by 1, I am going to call them

16. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

Grab your sleeping bag and we will pick you up on our way if they don't get it done.

Dave

17. jfocallag

Just got a call that my trailer is ready. Yippee. The person who did the work was unaware of why I brought it in (arrgh) but said he repacked the bearings, checked the brakes and everything looks fine. I told him about the noise that I heard when I rotated the tire. He said he was unaware of that but that the wheels spin freely now.

I will be picking up after work. Mossyrock back on schedule.

18. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

So glad, Joan. Would be disappointed if you weren't there. Kathy

19. jfocallag

Thanks Kathy. See you Saturday.

20. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Glad you were able to get it taken care of in time!