What do you wish you had asked but didn't?

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by ghaynes, Nov 4, 2011.

1. ghaynes

ghaynes Novice

What do you wish you had asked but didn't based on what you know now?

I'm taking the pilgrimage to Necedah in two weeks to finalize the purchase for my 560. Would like thoughts and comments in the vein of 'If only I had asked ....'. Things like options you've seen and now wanted, things you didn't know then but learned now from others, that type of info.

For most of us this is a one time purchase (kind of like picking out the right girl or guy for a life partner and you don't want to make a mistake). Want to get it right.

2. slumry

slumry Novice

Since you are a photographer, I strongly suggest you get this added to the trailer:

Photographer's Trailer Option

It is a standard option not on the regular parts list; I forget what the part number is...

3. ghaynes

ghaynes Novice

Thanks. Always knew that was the secret to Ansel's success. On the same note I was shooting this fall in the Colorado mountains with another photographer buddy. If you have ever seen the iconic photo of the Maroon Bells outside of Aspen reflected in the lake it is very challenging to capture these days. 15-20 years ago there might have been half a dozen photographers there at dawn in the fall. This year there must have been a couple of hundred. Literally no way to get the classic shot without people 2-3 deep along the shoreline. :mad: So our solution was two fold.

1. Bring in a scissor scaffold. One of those self propelled narrow ones and shoot from the platform. After getting the shot then offer to 'rent' rides for the other photographers. Might make more from that rather than selling my large images. :)

2. Get there really early with a couple of friends to act as plants. Actors preferred. String a bunch of yellow crime scene tape across the path. Set up the camera so you have a good view. Warn others as the arrive. "Honestly i don't know what's going on but the rangers said don't go down the path." At appropriate intervals have the actors sit up screaming from the grass waving arms covered with appropriate Hollywood theatrical wounds etc. :eek:

These are the types of dreams that come up while camping in the rain, cold overnight and why I want to be warm and dry in a Camp-Inn.

4. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

As an older person I find getting into the 560 and scooting up onto the couch is a little harder than it probably is for you, so I wish we would have gotten the grab handles inside. They were actually originally put in for handicapped people, but like the grab handles inside our minivan, they help get in and out. Also, I would NOT have put the heater in. But we purchased a brand new 560 that had already been special ordered for someone else who sold it to us off the showroom floor, so we didn't have that input. This past week we took our little small ceramic heater and put it on a shelf and it cycled on and off and kept the temp. just right - not too hot, not too cold and quieter than the regular propane heater that is a CI option. We also lost the storage space because of the heater. Just my 2 cents worth. Congrats on the CI! What's your number? We're # 80 Raindrop, #406 overall.

5. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Things I wish I had done differently:

1) Brought WAY less junk. We didn't need hardly any of the camping gear that covered the bed and had to be moved every night.

2) Had my solar panel premounted and wired in by Camp-Inn instead of after the fact.

3) Woody Wax before we left Necedah.

6. Trippster

Trippster Novice

Evan,
    What was some of the camping gear that you did not need?

7. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Gary,

There really isn't much we would want other than the 550 classic we have. I suppose the heater would be nice if you're in to a lot of snow camping and alone. Jim and I found on our maiden voyage that two live bodies can heat up that little interior just fine...and you can take that any way you want. Seriously, you might consider the side tent. It would have come in handy as a dry entry during some very rainy nights, though how it would have stood up to the high winds I don't know. It's a thought.

By the way, Jim and I prefer the number 2 method for getting your perfect shot....add one more friend in a furry Big-Foot suit thrashing about in the bushes. Just don't do it during hunting season.

Jim and Sue

PS,

Jim says, "We both have experience acting. Just saying..."

8. Deb

Deb Novice

Gary,

We're pretty happy with everything we got on ours. Since getting our 550 Ultra, we've become parents to two Jack Russells (sisters) and we plan to retire in Tennessee within the next couple of years. So, with that said, if we were to buy now, we would get the air conditioning and a 560 to give us room for the dogs to sleep. I agree with Bill & Linda that a heater is not necessary. We still enjoy our CI immensely, but the girls visit grandma when we go.

9. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

Gary,

Since you live in Colorado and might be camping in National Forest campgrounds without full hookups, you might want to consider the furnace. We camped on Mt. Hood on Labor Day weekend. It got a bit nippy so the furnace came in handy. I also want to put in a plug for the hand brake. I am really glad that I got that. So far the only thing that I have used only once, is the TV. If I had to cut something, that would be it.

10. ghaynes

ghaynes Novice

Thanks to all that have responded. I should have added in the original quote to ask about things you got that you don't use. Something along the line of Cary's and Bear's reduce the clutter messaging. Cary has said put a piece of tape on everything. First time you use it pull off the tape. And after a bunch of trips consider getting rid of the stuff you still have tape on. I mean really how often do you 'really' use the Maytag washer/dryer?

So maybe include in your response the things you got with the trailer but really have not used.

11. abccampinn

abccampinn Novice

We would not bother with the TV/DVD player if we had it to do over again. We used it a couple of times when we first got the camper, but since have found that we use our laptop if we want to watch a DVD or look at all the pictures we have been taking. It would be nice to have the storage space where the TV is. We are still debating whether we would still do the air conditioner again. It has been nice to have the few times we have used it, but the storage space would be nice to have also. The water level meter wasn't available when we purchased our camper, otherwise we would have gotten that. You should also look into getting the quiet ride tow hitch, it is mentioned in this forum somewhere.
    Charlie

12. ajs777

ajs777 Novice

Based on 8 months of reading the forums, many emails to Cary, a great weekend at the CICO which included a 2 day 550 rental, a visit to the factory with a lot of information from Craig and Marty along with some great feedback from other owners, this is what we ordered: (sorry 'bout the run-on sentence, but I'm no Bear when it comes to puttin' pen to paper)

550 Ultra
    SUV Off-Road Package
    Electric Brakes
    Receiver Hitch
    Air Conditioning
    AGM Battery Upgrade
    Solar Hookup (not sure I'll use this but I'm w/ Evan on this... Factory installed)
    2012 Door Hinge Upgrade (it's all Craig's fault for showing them to us at the factory tour)
    Fantastic Fan 6000 Upgrade (rain sensor model)
    Side Entrance Tent (Probably the rain fly too... still undecided)
    Exterior DC Outlet (under cooler table so I can power the frig with the galley hatch closed)
    Door Screens
    Alcan Cover
    Beverage Holder - (Pr.)
    Stainless Mugs (Pr)
    25ft. Gas/Water Extension
    LP Gas Meter
    Adapter 15A-30A
    Insulated Cover (have the Dometic already)
    Refrigerator Hockey Stick

Everyone's setup will be a little different based on their needs and personal preferences. Thanks to everyone at Camp-Inn we get a custom trailer the way we think we want it.

13. Tom Ruggles

Tom Ruggles Novice

AJ & Michelle --

Congratulations for an awesome choice and options. You won't regret it. Don't skimp on the side tent rain fly. You won't regret it.

Now, what the heck is the 2012 door hinge upgrade and do I now want/need it?

Tom

14. ajs777

ajs777 Novice

Tom~

Craig has designed a new style door hinge to replace the current piano hinge. It complements the vintage door handles very nicely . From what I understand it will be on the 2012 models. Craig or Cary would be the ones to ask about retrofitting the new hinge and if it provides any improvement to functionality or is just for aesthetics. You may want it but I don't think you'll need it.

aj

15. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Gary, in answer to your question: Yes, we brought too much camping stuff. You don't need camping stuff on a road trip (different place every night). If fact, I would only pack what will fit in your car and plan to leave the bed 100% uncluttered.

16. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

On our recent trip to Arkansas we stopped at Midway Park in Waco, Texas, a nice Corps of Engineer Park. It was a quick overnight to go on the next day to Hot Springs. Since I like to cook, I was looking forward to making a big breakfast, so I opened up the 12 volt fridge, got out the eggs, scrambled them up in a bowl, pulled out the propane stove - no propane! Dang it! Not to worry, I'm plugged in, so I whipped out my trusty little Redi-Set-Go (As Seen on TV) and made omelets in the inserted divided pan. But prior to the omelets, I removed the insertable pan and put my canned biscuits in the bottom of the RSGo, closed the lid and 7 mins. later I had baked biscuits! 4 mins. on the omelets. All in 1 trusty little gadget "As Seen on TV", the electrical Redi Set Go. Wouldn't leave home without it! Oven and skillet all in one! Small footprint, approx. 12" round.

17. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

Jenn,
    I don't know if you "plug in" or dry camp, but even just using the battery power you could do what I do for heated water: An electric tea kettle - glass bottom - heats up in 2 mins. to rolling boiling and wouldn't use that much electricity and doesn't take up that much space under my counter - walmart - cheap.

18. Lh303

Lh303 Novice

Jenn,

You mentioned that hooks under the shelves at the head of the bed would be useful. We found some adhesive backed hooks manufactured by 3M under the Command label and these things are great. Rather than have to drill into the wood these hooks are backed by a removable adhesive strip. If you decide you no longer need the hook, it can be removed easily and no marks or sign of the adhesive are left on the surface. We installed ours in the spring and through heat and cold they are still as solid as the day we installed them.
    Leo

19. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Hi Jenn we also use those 3M hooks. I think I have pictures of ours in the photo ares. I use them for keys. I also have them to hang towels on in the galley. I will look at the pictures and see if they are there. I bought them from Amazon.

20. ajs777

ajs777 Novice

Jenn,

The next time you talk to Cary, see if he can fix you up with the retrofit kit for your fan. He seems to have a good rapport with his supplier so he might be able to get just what you need. You can also do it yourself, try this link. It has all the bells and whistles and may be more than you want, but it will should work with you existing fan. I was going to go this route until Cary got a CI version of the Fantasic Vent 6000. I don't think I'll be getting a remote with the CI version, but really... do we need one in a TD?

http://www.fantasticvent.com/products/model_6600_kit/model_6600_kit.htm

As for just some hot water, I like Linda's suggestion and you could look at these (cheaper on Amazom). I just don't know what kind of drain either of them would have on your system. Maybe one of our electrical engineers could advise.

http://www.bodum.com/us/en-us/shop/detail/11318-01US/

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/12-volt-smart-car-pot/56991

FYI, we're out of the wood shop and on line 1, should start getting build pictures soon.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016