What are you leaving Behind or Re-organising

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Bazza2154, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Bazza2154

Bazza2154 Novice

So for us further North than some camping season has just began and after a very frustrating year last year where we only goy away once we were very eager to pack up for last weekend's getaway.

Now im not sure if its juts the change in the TV as we now have an F150 or me buying to much stuff but we seem to have far to many boxes and bags outside of the CI for my comfort level.

I am now repacking replanning reorganising everthing in my head and have used the virtual piece of Duct tape on every item we took to work out if we really need it but based on one trip that theory does not always work as we did not have to set up or take down in the rain or have one night stops where alternative canopy may be an option or some other option where this piece of kit works better than that piece of kit.

So who else is trying to cut down and who else has identified that thing that we really don’t use.

2. dhutchin

dhutchin Novice

I've figured out that camping is expensive, but not camping is even more expensive. Not camping for me means planning and buying.

3. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

My packing changes every time I go out. Each trip requires different things. I am getting the amount down, but for my longer trips I have been taking more than I do for short jaunts out. 4 years in and I am still working it out.

4. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Most of our camping gear will spend the summer in a storage unit while Lena and Katie cruise around the SW with SnuggluBug.

5. birder526

birder526 Novice

This is an interesting thread. I can see where NOT camping is expensive due to more planning and buying! At least when you're out there camping, you're not perusing the internet for the next best thing!

Even though we won't be on the road until next April, we're sitting here talking about what we should bring! Having done a lot of backpacking and loaded touring on our bicycles, we know how to pack light, or at least we think we know! But we are open to any and all advice!

The best system we used was different colored nylon stuff sacks for different articles of clothing, you know like blue for tops and green for bottoms and red for toiletries etc. We may do that again and each have our own duffel bag to house our clothes. Just thinking of all this makes us ready to hit the road.

Thanks for all of your insights!

Diane

6. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

Each year I pack less and less. If something is not used for multiple uses, it has to have a very good reason for being packed.

I always have too much food, but seems like I forget the one food item needed. Weekend camping is different then full time living.

The only answer I know is time will provide the answer of what you do and don't need.

Jean

7. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

Don't forget to check out the ebags which have been talked about on this forum. They come small,medium and large. I got some when odd colors were on sale and I think they are going to work out great for me. I have not used the large ones yet but the small and medium fit really well in the long cupboard that goes all the way across above the foot well. Small is great for sox and undies and medium fits t shirts perfectly.

8. Mick'nSarah

I was just thinking, one thing I am leaving home this trip is Mick! :(

I recently wrote a little blog post on my website about the packing cubes we use. You can read it here:
    http://havekidwillteardrop.wordpress.com/2014/05/22/tip-trick-packing-cubes/

They are great. I also use smaller plastic boxes to fill up, but each box has a theme (games, electronics, safety/personal items, laundry/cleaning/tool kit, etc). In the galley I took Michaelo's advice with the drawer dividers (you can find that on his adventure thread). I just got the bamboo ones, but he found some nice pine ones. I also put things in boxes or buckets in the back of the truck to make it easier to find. (i.e. Dutch oven with charcoal, baking paper, coal chimney, etc in a tote. Hoses, cords, spray nozzles in a collapsible bucket. An so on.) we all have different ways of doing things that work for each of us. I have started leaving my biggish grill home and only use my BioLite grill now (smaller and serves more than ken purpose).

Now, I am trying to figure out if I really need that second alcove I got during the sale. Hmmmm. Anyone use two of these and do you think it would help keep the trailer slightly cooler in the SW in summer?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  9. dhutchin

dhutchin Novice

Sarah,

We've camped in the great SW several times in the summer and didn't find it to be unbearably hot. I don't know your itinerary but there are some higher elevation campgrounds around that you may try out. For example, around Moab you can stay at Arches. Kinda hot down there. Or you can head up the mountain to Dead Horse Point which will probably be cooler. There's also a BLM campground up there named Horsethief or something like that. It was nice but we got snowed and sleeted on last October.

Bryce's campground is up there in elevation and cooler than Zion. Of course if you can get a riverside site at Zion, you can use the river.

The north rim of the GC is higher and cooler than the south rim.

etc.

We love camping in those areas because bugs are non-issues and humidity is generally low. It usually cools down nicely at night. If you happen to be out there during any of the meteor showers, the sky is DARK. You PNWers don't get that kind of clear sky too often. The other thing to remember is that early morning and late afternoon are the best times to hike and such and drink water like it's your job.

10. Mick'nSarah

I am a huge water drinker because I have some health issues, so I am giving everyone we are with full authority to constantly ask me when I had my last drink. It can get serious really fast for me. I have some different things packed for electrolytes too if I feel like I am flushing the system too much too. I hear this is meant to be the hottest recorded summer in history, so we'll see how accurate folks are. They said that once about us and it rained for two years straight and I am not even kidding (it was also the year we got our trailer so we might have jinxed things).

In Moab we have reservations at an RV park in town. It has a pool and playstructure and restaurants and since it is pretty much the last stop on the trip, we decided to splurge a little. Plus they have trees which mean shade which is most awesome because I don't have a/c. We'll be using that night time a/c called "open your windows and sunroof and crank that fan up". We also have reservations on the south rim at GC. Mather Campground was recommended to us, so that is what we did. Not sure where in Zion we are, but we have reservations. Great Basin is way up high, so I am not too worried there and they say it is one of the darkest places in the continental US. We are bringing the Lads little telescope to see what we can find. It will be amazing for him to actually stay up late enough to see the stars too. Usually he is in bed before the sun is down up here! Ah summer time!

It is going to be great! Can't wait and thanks for the tips! Will take any and all we can get!

11. Bazza2154

Bazza2154 Novice

We have a couple of baskets in the top cupboards for each of us for the small clothing items which keep them in one place and we have e bags but often find they only work for longer journeys when more clothing is required.

12. 1Door

1Door Novice

Sarah,
    2 Alcoves are a great idea. They cover the camper and the galley.
    Barry & Annie,
    Clothing is simple if you know the "expected" weather forecast. Make a list of how many days & nights on the trip and pack the outfits for each change. Then add only 1 extra outfit.

As far as the kitchen is concerned, I write out the "menu" for each breakfast/lunch/dinner and then I know what ingredients, pots, pans, bowls, plates etc. to pack for the trip.

We have 2 Rubbermaid clear boxes for all the "outside" equipment...water hose, extension cords, Bic lighters, dish soap, trash bags, bug repellant/oils/sprays, leveling stuff, batteries, lantern, extra tent stakes etc. We always restock any 1/2 filled items before the next outing.

We have done really well with our system. Only ONCE did I forget something, the whip cream for the Irish coffee's!!! Now, you can be sure it's the first item that goes into the YETI ! Learned my lesson.

Love our Ford F-150.
    Better have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!!!

13. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

Refer to post #26597 - 03/29/14 07:10 PM for pictures of the dividers.

Jean

14. Pick

Pick Novice

We haven't got our trailer quite yet but when we do I have decieded that on our first trip we will leave behind....all our worries and cares! lol
    MDP
    Mike & Denita

15. Bazza2154

Bazza2154 Novice

Nice statement I still cant find the Like button on this Forum.

16. dhutchin

dhutchin Novice

I left my wife behind at a rest area once. After an hour of driving, I finally missed her.

And all along I just thought I'd gone deaf. ;-)

17. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

This is not particularly leaving behind but our first trips I wanted certain things like Kleenex, aspirin, sunscreen, etc wherever I might be when I wanted them: van, cabin, galley it was crazy I found myself going to the one place I knew they were even if they were right where I was at the time - now no duplicates if I can help it. everything with a place and returned to that place. And I made a spreadsheet of items listed by place my plan is check the iPod before going crazy looking for things. And an easy answer for those camping with me see the iPod (oh oh the dog can't read).

18. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

You are so funny AsheWolf. My Daughter and Son-IN-Law were talking and he told her she hadn't told him something she had told him the day before. She said, I told you that yesterday. He said, How am I supposed to know when to listen, you talk all the time. So now she still talks all the time but when something is important she tells him it is time to listen.
    I decided to do that too Pat. I'm going to make a list on my phone of what is in each storage place. Especially under the bed and behind the sofa.

19. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Riot, AsheWolf. So tell me, how long was it before the bruises started to fade? Jim is curious...wants to be prepared.

Jim is sitting behind me right now and laughing. He says he's thought about leaving me behind on the road, but just couldn't work up the courage.

"A guys got to eat, ya know", he says.

True words...he can't cook to save his soul.

Sue and Jim (says)

20. dhutchin

dhutchin Novice

Now Sue, settle down. No hitting allowed. Plus she knows better because I do the cooking around these parts. She now has to have a recipe to make ice.

She threatens every day that she's gonna divorce me. But then comes to her senses and says," Can't do that. It would just make him happy." And we can't have that.

heheheh. Still hoping she never visits this site.