Water damage on under side

Discussion in 'Care & Maintenance' started by Lenny357, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Lenny357

Lenny357 Novice

Has anyone experienced water damage on the under side of their 560,550 trailers. If yes, what could I use to treat the wood so this won't happen in the future?

Also how thick is the flooring in the front of a 560 ?

Rubber coat

Truck bed liner

Deck paint ??

I should have a picture shortly, Im out of the country so I'm relying on others to provide pictures.

Thanks folks

2. Cal429

Cal429 Novice

The topic of protecting the underside has already been touched on elsewhere. (The answer was, "let it breathe"). Check it out on the "Meet & Greet" "Answers from Oregon" thread. (I re-found it by searching on "varnish").

3. Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  4. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  5. Lenny357

Lenny357 Novice

Thank you, yea mine seems to have a little damage, Ive only seen pictures but I know I can fix it. Once I get a picture I will post it.

6. Alan Hill

Alan Hill Novice

Lenny,
    The floor is 3/4" plywood. Just like the sides.

7. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Alan,

Correction. The floors on all our trailers is 1/2".

Cary

8. Lenny357

Lenny357 Novice

Can't figure out how to post a picture hmmm I can e-mail it ? I was figuring I would sand it, fill it, then re varnish. It has a sizable crack

9. Hilditch

Hilditch Novice

Lenny, to post a pic it needs a URL to create a IMG code. I upload to Photobucket which provides both. Then copy the IMG code and paste it in the post. This server needs an address to find the pic. Email doesn't provide that address. If you have the URL (address) you can add the IMG code, front & rear, to that on the full reply screen (no spaces).

My floor issue was different, but it sounds like yours needs to be addressed.

Hilditch

10. Hilditch

Hilditch Novice

I'm back. Just looked at your serial number. If it is what I imagine - a crack in only one ply - sealing it up against additional moisture is needed. Filling won't help unless it is cracked all the way through. A couple of heavy coats of Helmsman Spar Varnish (comes in a spray can) along the crack should retard additional damage.

Hilditch