WA - Kalaloch Campground (Olympic National Forest)

Discussion in 'Adventures & Excursions' started by Evan, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

This weekend we camped about 20 miles south of Forks, WA on the edge of the Olympic Rain Forest.

Kalaloch is right on the bluff overlooking the beach. The beach is rather typical for a Washington beach, but perhaps cleaner. The park is huge - maybe 200 sites, or possibly more - but absolutely packed on Friday night because the weather was good.

The weather got progressively worse, and by Sunday the park was empty.
    We spent some time exploring the creek:
    [​IMG]

...and admiring the exotic fungi...
    [​IMG]

In case you wondered about the different between a rain forest and a forest that has rain - yes, there is a big difference. I've spent lots of time in forests that have rain, and none of the trees looked like the ones we saw this weekend.

Here's an example:

[​IMG]

The actual tree was even more strange, but I forgot to take a picture of it... :( These are just the roots.
    [​IMG]

We now have 101 nights. (Sounds like a great book title. I should write one quickly before we go camping again...)

2. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Yah, like that park, but as you noted usually full during the BKT season... off season, bluff is usually booked, south part closed down, but the back part wide open..
    The bluff being the best part...

3. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

Nice pictures and congratulations on 100 nights. :)

4. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

Hi, Evan, Lena and Katie. Catching up on posts that we've missed. We visited Kalaloch years ago but didn't camp there. You've reminded us to put it on our list. Thanks!

Kathy