Virtual Scavenger Hunt #2

Discussion in 'Photo Gallery' started by Ken & Peggy, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Time to move on to our next challenge.

Granted, this may be easy for those of you who live close-by, but I'm sure you'll let the others play before giving it away.
    We'll be away for the weekend, so there'll be no help 'til Monday, but I'd like to see a quickly solved challenge, so get the lead out kids!

[​IMG]

2. I won't say where and give others a chance, but I think you are in ___ ___ __ __ ____ Ken & Peggy. Enjoy ___ Lovers Weekend...

tina & jerry

3. Ken & Peggy

We aren't even ___ lovers, it was just a coincidence. Hopefully the place isn't crawling with people...

4. Ken & Peggy

Any guesses people? or does the Virtual Scavenger Hunt series of posts pass into oblivion?? Or, to Jerry & Tina?

5. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

I am guessing Galena, Ill.

6. Ken & Peggy

Jean, you nailed it! We just spent the weekend near Galena - still plenty of snow and a couple inches of new stuff during our stay. Hiked in Apple River Canyon state park today - looks like some decent campsites. You're the winner and next Virtual Scavenger Challenge host!

7. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Wow, we were actually looking the right place. A friend and I tried looking. Our clues were Carlotta Fur, the last 7 digits of a phone number (area code would have been very helpful), and the VFW - but there are hundreds of these.

We did end up in Galena, going street by street in google maps, but could never find the view shown in the picture. What was the name of that cafe?

8. Ken & Peggy

Evan,
    Great job finding Galena with the little you hadd to figure it out.

It was 'Clark's Cafe', but it is now the Victory Cafe, so it wouldn't have helped. The 2 clues, in addition to the visuals, were: The first word, 'Grant ed', and the end of the last sentence, 'get the lead out....'.

Galena's the hometown of Ulysses S. Grant, the Civil War general and U.S. President. And Galena actually means lead, as in the ore, which was mined in the area.

Jerry & Tina live quite close by, and of course knew immediately. They did mention the 'wine lovers weekend' in their reply, but that would have handed the answer to anyone Googling, which couldn't be allowed...

Here's a favorite old barn, that's luckily still standing, taken on the way home today in a town near Galena along U.S. 20 - (it doesn't show up for some reason)

9. Deb

Deb Novice

What a coincidence! We were also in Galena this weekend...at The Irish Cottage. A very nice getaway over a cold weekend, in what's supposed to be spring!

10. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

And I thought that clue was a typo...

11. Ken & Peggy

We talked about stopping at Frank O'Dowd's for the music on Saturday but didn't get a chance. We got a great deal on Travelzoo.com for a stay at Eagle Ridge. I had almost forgotten about it, and it was expiring at the end of this month. It was very nice - a 'villa' - basically a 2 bedroom 2 bath home with a fireplace (which came in very handy) out in the woods. We'd stay there again if we could get the same deal.
    That is a beautiful area, and the fresh snow over the weekend didn't hurt the views. Last year temps were almost 80 at this time!
    How was the Irish Cottage?