Velocity Visions Aluminum Cleaner

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ncaress, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Ncaress

Ncaress Newbie

Hello Everyone,

I picked up my "new to me" 550 Ultra a couple of weeks ago and have been busy making it mine. Looking through the forum, I think I have read all of the cleaning/polishing aluminum posts, but curious if anyone has used Velocity Visions aluminum cleaner...?? There is a cool how to video on youtube, but I can't seem to add that link.

Velocity Visions Aluminum Cleaner

I've pulled the alcan cover and have been experimenting with cleaning/polishing in that area since I'm going cover it with spray bed liner. I made a swirly mess with the walbernize and the Fitz/Walbernize was too shiny. More than likely I will just leave the body as is but thought I would ask.

I really appreciate the forum and have gathered great info from it!

Thanks!
    Nancy
    Albuquerque, NM
    2005 550 Ultra #97

2. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Don't use aluminum brighteners like this. They discolor the metal to a white color. Just doesn't work for this application.

Cary

3. Ncaress

Ncaress Newbie

Thanks Cary!

4. LisaNKevin

LisaNKevin Junior Ranger Donating Member

Cary,
    When you say ‘like this’, what specifically should we avoid buying? Something that says ‘aluminum brightener’ or a specific ingredient?
    Thanks,
    Lisa

5. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Lisa,

Aluminum brighteners in general is what I am referring to. It is a specific ingredient (Phosphoric acid I believe) that does the chemical brightening which discolors the metal a bit, gives it a whitish hue. These products are popular for things like pontoon boats and other aluminum water craft. They work great for that but generally are not used on aluminum RVs because of the color hue change that happens.

I am quick to caution because I have seen the distress it caused another Camp-Inn owner who cleaned his camper with a brightener. It wasn't terrible but he really was unhappy with the results. The discoloration buffed off easy enough but since buffing out the aluminum is what is trying to be avoided this made more work rather than saving any.

Cary

Van_and_Terri likes this.
  6. LisaNKevin

LisaNKevin Junior Ranger Donating Member

Thanks for the thorough explanation, Cary. I didn’t want to pick up the wrong thing down the road.

Lisa