Utah Bound, Best Time Of Year?

Discussion in 'Adventures & Excursions' started by Craig, Aug 23, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Craig

Craig Newbie

I'm heading to Utah from NJ next year (In my new 560) Best time of year to go? Favorite places to camp? Favorite places to see? I'm new to this, and would appreciate any advice.

2. abccampinn

abccampinn Novice

Antelope Canyon is on my to do list! Utah has a ton of places to see, any of which won't disappoint.

3. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Oh, Utah, one of our favorite places... The National Parks of Southern Utah - Zion, Bryce, Arches, Canyonlands, and Capitol Reef - are all amazing and quite different from one another. We were there in July/August (2015)

Colorado/Utah: beautiful parks, wonderful memories

and most places were crowded as you'd expect. September might be a cooler, less busy time to visit.
    In Zion, The Narrows, the hike up the Virgin River between the canyon walls, was a highlight. Also, Angel's Landing hike is spectacular, but that might be restricted now.
    Delicate Arch hike at Arches NP is an iconic site to visit. Moab is an interesting town between Arches and Canyonlands. Great campground in Capitol Reef near Fruita, UT.
    Also, we stayed at a great state park, Goblin Valley, in Green River, UT.
    You just can't make a bad choice in Utah is what I'm trying to say I guess. Give yourself plenty if time to spend exploring the variety of landscapes that each place offers. Enjoy!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  4. Craig

Craig Newbie

Thanks. I'm looking to leave NJ middle of March. Very excited!

5. Craig

Craig Newbie

Thanks for the great info. I'm looking to leave NJ mid March. Very excited!

6. Craig

Craig Newbie

Any trout in the Virgin River?

7. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  8. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Lived in Utah for 9 years. Been back MANY times since. If you are going in March, you may still experience snow in the northern third of the state. But it doesn't stay long. Often gone by the end of the day. Unless you are in the mountains and then it can stay right through June. Southern half of the state is best for temps prior to mid June. After that, it can get unbearably hot. Being from NJ, you have experienced heat with humidity. Utah is very dry, so 90° and up is more tolerable, but still hot. Don't be surprised if you should get nose bleeds. Moving there from NH, where I was at sea level, I got them fairly regularly until I got acclimated to the altitude. If you should get them, an over the counter saline nose spray will help. And you may well notice a difference in how easily you may tire (or have labored breathing) when hiking, due to the increase in altitude. If you are there long enough, you will acclimate to these changes. I have asthma, so it was more noticeable to me at first. Also, make sure to wear sun screen, as you will burn more easily/quickly at higher altitudes, especially if there is snow where you are.

Utah has so many wonderful places to explore and the National Parks are amazing. Ken gave you a pretty good run down of them. In addition to those, if you are in the far north, Bear Lake in Logan is beautiful. Great Salt lake and the Salt Flats are interesting. Dinosaur National Monument, located just east of Vernal, in the eastern part of the state, is amazing with so many fossils. It is the largest quarry of prehistoric Jurassic dinosaur bones and the displays are incredible. In the exhibit hall, you can see a quarry wall of 1,500 bones from of all types of dinosaurs. In the south, Bryce Canyon and Kodachrome basin have some amazing colors and geologic features. Kodachrome Basin also has the best restrooms/showers I have ever seen! Monument Valley and Hovenweep are also worth the trip. In the southern part of the state, you will also have some gorgeous night skies for viewing the constellations, watch for the Space Station to pass over and look for satellites.

Lots of fantastic things to see! Have a great time!

Betsey

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    Ken & Peggy likes this.
  9. Craig

Craig Newbie

Thank you for the great info. This really helps me to plan. Looks like I'll be out for 100 days, or so, and even that is probably not enough time. Peace. Craig