Utah/arizona Trip

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Vince G, Feb 27, 2022.

1. Vince G

Vince G Novice

Hello everyone,

I know that this is tough to answer but I thought I would get everyone`s opinions. My wife and I are planning a trip to see Utah and Arizona. We are looking to fly into Salt Lake City and depart from Phoenix Az. We will not be camping since we are east coast and need to use some airline credits from Covid cancels. We want to see Canyonlands, Grand Canyon, and possibly Sedona. How many days do you think to plan for to nof feel rushed? Any suggestions on where to stay or see? Thanks in advance.

2. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Question: Have you already seen the rest of the Utah parks? I'm guessing you have, and want to focus on the less easily accessible Canyonlands. (Canyonlands has 4 different areas to see, and are a long ride apart... ) I'd say to give yourself 2 weeks. This would allow for the travel times to Southern Utah, and then the Grand Canyon and Sedona. Leaving time in each place to explore properly. Sounds like a great road trip!

Kevin likes this.
  3. Vince G

Vince G Novice

Actually this is first trip to Utah. Just looking at web and stuff and like the Canyonlands. So if we were thinking a week and had to pick a state which one. Also best places to visit or must sees.

4. Ken & Peggy

I'd say do as many of the 5 NP's of Utah as you can. They are all different. A week isn't enough. You can't make a bad choice. A highlight for us was hiking the Narrows and Angel's Landing in Zion. Bryce is close by. Canyonlands and Arches are not far from each other, with the town of Moab between them. And Capitol Reef is a gem that no one seems to know much about. Pick a couple, see them well, and just know you'll get back to see the rest another time. :)

Kevin likes this.
  5. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

Given your itinerary and time frame I'd siuggest spending a few days in Moab first. From there you can easily visit Canyonlands and Arches as well as Dead Horse Point State Park which are all very close to each other. From there you can work your way south depending upon time and preference.

With a limited amount of time I would personally leave Sedona out. All the parks are spectacular and more worthy of your time IMO.

6. At Canyonlands we went to the Islands in the Sky District & liked it a lot. We camped in Moab & did that Arches from the campground. I would spend more time in in Canyonlands when we make it back. Capitol Reef is one of our favorites. Overlooked by a lot of people with most just driving through and stopping along the highway that passes through it. Great hiking there & you have to some pie at the Gifford House near the campground. Bryce has some great hiking and the shuttle buses make it easy to get around with to shuttle cars. Grand Canyon, I’ve done the North Rim both times I’ve been.

Kevin likes this.
  7. campdude

campdude Ranger

As everyone has said, it will take more time than you think. But you will make memories of any and all of the parks you go to. In 2013 we went with our 12 year old Grand daughter to Arches, Canyonland, hung out in Moab, went down to Mesa Verde Colorado and up to Durango Silverton. We wanted to do the Grand Canyon with her but just didn't have the time. It was still just an all around great time and memorable vacation.

What ever you do you will have fun and enjoy your ability to go and see what you can.

Kevin and Jerry Kemp like this.
  8. Ken & Peggy

Van_and_Terri and Jerry Kemp like this.
  9. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

When are you planning to go? That can obviously have a large impact on plans.

10. Vince G

Vince G Novice

We are planning in May. Thanks for input. After some discussions we are mosr likely going to do AZ due to length of time. Wife also wants to see Sedona

11. Ken & Peggy

Can't go wrong. Sedona is a beautiful place. We did a fly and drive for a long weekend in 2019 that included Seguaro NP.

Some Sedona pics...
    Arizona 2019

12. Vince G

Vince G Novice

Beutiful pics Ken and Peggy. No wife has neber been to AZ. I have only been to Tuscon for work but did not sight see due to time. Going to Googke vortexes now.

13. Ken & Peggy

Just one. Didn't feel the magic. Maybe because we were already surrounded...

14. Ken & Peggy

Thanks. Look into Sabino Canyon too - very nice hiking trails in a beautiful setting.

Coronado National Forest - Sabino Canyon Recreation Area

Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
  15. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I really want to get to the southwest. Many of the YouTubers I follow head that way….it really looks amazing. But I think I need 5-6 weeks to do it slow….and right.

Warren Mary Ellen likes this.