Usaa Insurance Vs New Camp-inn Owner

Discussion in 'Care & Maintenance' started by Jerry Kemp, May 7, 2020.

1. Jerry Kemp

Jerry Kemp Junior Ranger

I'm hoping that I will be able to acquire a 2014 Camp-Inn 550 Special at some point in the near future. In preparation, I've gathered up my data and called into my insurance provider, USAA for a quote.

Also in preparation, I've visited with Cary and had the "registration" part of the "tips" page, up online for reference:

Camp-Inn Teardrop Tips

The registration section specifically states that teardrops are classified as camp trailer, and not travel trailer.

So I called into USAA for my quote. Provided the manufacturer, model number and serial number. They wanted to know what a new one cost, and I stated that a current 2020 model had a base price of about $14K. We also talked about deductible, and I settled on $500 for that.

Apparently USAA covers (2) types of trailers. Travel trailers and Utility trailers. I specifically told them it was not a travel trailer as it doesn't have it does not have inside/indoor restroom facilities nor cooking facilities, per the above mentioned tips reference page.

I got a quote back of $33.00 per (6 month) pay period.

I've spent time reviewing the forum, and I frequently saw insurance quotes of $70 to $130, but I will admit that it wasn't clear as to if that was per 6-month period, or per year, or something else.

I haven't won the lottery yet, and I don't have extra money to spend, but God forbid, should an accident happen, I would hate to be denied because I mis-represented my trailer. Unsuccessfully trying to explain to the agent what a teardrop was is another story all into itself.

Is there anyone here on USAA who already has their Camp-Inn insured that might provide some tips?

thank you

2. Doug & Angela

Doug & Angela Novice

I have USAA with a $500 deductible and it's $54.01 per 6 month premium for a 2015 560 Ultra. When talking to them and Geico my understanding is they would both go to the web and find the depreciated/used price for how much to pay out in case of a total loss. I have a bunch of extras and paid around $20k for it, but when I spoke to someone they said only around $13k or so would be paid out for a total loss. Geico was much more expensive and they said if all of my insurance was with them, it'd be in line with USAA's quote, so I got the impression bundling everything together at USAA was most cost effective for similar coverage. I tried a third insurance company and they were not willing to insure it for its full value I paid for it. I was semi satisfied self insuring for part of the teardrop.

Jerry Kemp likes this.
  3. Jerry Kemp

Jerry Kemp Junior Ranger

Thanks for the reply.

Unless something happens to alter things, chances are I will just run with USAA. I had Geico, and aside from being high, I wasn't the best of experiences.

The USAA terminology just bothers me. I specifically know from referencing the registrations tips page (as mentioned above), that the 550 is not a travel trailer, but OTOH, listing it as a utility trailer makes me think of something those lawn care businesses drag all their equipment around with.

If you're paying a bit more for a bit newer Camp-Inn 560, maybe my quote is in line for a Camp-Inn 550, matching your $500 deductible. I appreciate the comments.

4. GhostOrchid

GhostOrchid Junior Ranger

For comparison purposes, I have a 2014 550 insured with American Family with $500 deductible for $18/mo. They classify it as "recreational vehicle/other." My cars and house are also with AmFam, so I get a multi-product discount, but it's not huge.

Jerry Kemp likes this.
  5. dirty6

dirty6 Ranger

Jerry,

First things first, I wonder what the company is that you're getting a quote from. To my understanding, USAA doesn't do recreational vehicle insurance (or motorcycles) and forwards their customers to an agreed partner company to handle that work. I've been a USAA customer for many years (actually, my entire adult life), but my motorcycle and Camp-Inn coverage is through Progressive as connected via USAA.

On my Progressive-by-way-of-USAA policy, I have a Travel Trailer policy. I don't recall the details from a year ago when I first opened the policy but I vaguely remember having an option of utility trailer vs travel trailer and not knowing which round peg fit the square hole. I also vaguely remember asking the agent "What category would you insure a pop-up camper as?" to which s/he replied "TT." I am risk - averse in general, so I don't have a hard time imagining that I agreed with "TT" in order to avoid the situation you described in your concern.

My policy has a 750 deductible and is for total loss replacement/purchase price. The premium last year was 328.

When we insured it last year, our trailer was a brand new freshly delivered 2019 560 Raindrop with a healthy number of upgrades (but no a/c, heater, tv, or stereo).

I see a wide difference between your 66 annual quote and my 328 premium. That may partly be the age/value of the trailer but I suspect it's also the TT/UT difference.

Jerry Kemp likes this.
  6. Jerry Kemp

Jerry Kemp Junior Ranger

replying to dirty6

USAA is all I have, for vehicles and home. I shared with them what I was looking at insuring, and thru it all, there was no suggestion of "subbing my trailer insurance" out to a 3rd party. It seems that (from reviewing forum archives), at least a handful of other people are insured thru USAA, and make no mention of being subbed out.

New/additional question, for those of you who have their Camp-Inn trailer insured thru USAA, are you seeing similar activities, where its not actually USAA that is doing the insurance?

Again referencing the registration section of the "tips" page, that is really all I have to go by as this is my 1st tear drop.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

7. dirty6

dirty6 Ranger

Perhaps the discrepancy I'm noting is based on a state-by-state variance. I have always had USAA, but I've only insured anything other than an auto for the last handful of years. First, a motorcycle in South Carolina (via Progressive) and now a motorcycle and a camper in Alaska. It is entirely feasible that they offer coverage for those items in some states and not in others.

Jerry Kemp likes this.
  8. Jerry Kemp

Jerry Kemp Junior Ranger

@dirty6 - thanks for the follow up w/state-by-state variance. That makes more sense right now than anything.

Any other Camp-Inn owners insuring thru USAA with anything else to add?

Thank you !

9. Steve Sanford

Steve Sanford Novice

We insure with USAA. I do not remember the details but my wife spent some time sending them links to determine the value.

Jerry Kemp likes this.
  10. Jerry Kemp

Jerry Kemp Junior Ranger

Thanks for the reply Steve. I was hoping myself that I would also be sending links, after it was very obvious that the agent had absolutely no idea what a teardrop trailer was. Any idea if you/wife went thru the travel trailer vs utility trailer thing?

I'm suspecting that I may need to go another round on the phone with them.

11. Steve Sanford

Steve Sanford Novice

We recently moved to PA so we got new documentation to register it last year. It has $100 comprehensive deductible and $250 collision deductible but does not say if it is a travel or utility trailer just Camp Inn Raindrop. I would call back and hope you get a customer service rep willing to put the effort in to helping get what you need. All of their customer service reps we have dealt with are very helpful.

Jerry Kemp likes this.
  12. Jerry Kemp

Jerry Kemp Junior Ranger

[SUMMARY POST]

Don't have my Camp-Inn yet, but after a (significantly better) 2nd call to USAA, I now have insurance squared away. Also, thank you to everyone who replied and offered assistance.

My 2nd call in to USAA was with a different agent, apparently armed with a web browser, so I was able to get things squared away. And USAA understands exactly what I have/what I am insuring. In Texas, USAA categories trailers into (2) classes, travel trailers and utility trailers. My 550 will be insured as a utility trailer, based on the Camp Inn registration instructions.

Also, based on a previous comment, I asked if USAA (directly) would be insuring my Camp Inn, or if they were sub-letting the insurance to another company. What I got was that for Texas, USAA directly insures my trailer. But for certain states, those states do no let USAA directly insure speciality vehicles, which the agent described as "motorcycles, trailers, and possibly heavily modified vehicles". For those states where USAA is not allowed to directly insure, USAA partners with Progressive Insurance.

Hope this helps someone else out. Again, thank you to all who replied to my thread.

Kevin likes this.
  13. dirty6

dirty6 Ranger

Tha ka

Thanks for the follow up. That’s good info for future-me on the state by state divergence regarding USAA direct insurance vice Progressive.

I did some email digging and came up with the reason why mine is insured as a travel trailer - turns out it’s because it has to be registered as a travel trailer in Washington. Is this wrong according to federal classifications? Yes. But...Washington has three kinds of trailers in the state code. Motor homes, travel trailers, and “campers,” which the state code specifically identifies as bolt-on enclosures that affix to the bed of a pickup truck.

So the Washington registration flow chart works like this: does the vehicle have an integrated engine and drivetrain? Yes? Then it’s a motor home. No? Then is the item an enclosure that bolts into the bed of a pickup truck? Yes? Then it’s a camper. No? Then it’s a travel trailer. There are no other branches and sequels to follow on the flow chart.

Since I have it *registered* as a TT in Washington, I elected to *insure* it as such in Alaska to avoid an insurance disaster if I have to make a major claim. This is likely costing me more money in the long run in premiums...but we will only live in Alaska another year or so. Then we will try again somewhere else.

Kevin and Jerry Kemp like this.