Unique homemade teardrop/tent

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Ken & Peggy, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

While camping this weekend there was a family camping near us in a homemade teardrop. The unique thing about this teardrop was the fact that there was a tent/platform on top, also done by the young man who made the trailer. Interesting set up...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And it all folds up neatly when stowed:
    [​IMG]

2. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

Thats pretty cool. Steve :)

3. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

1st off, thanks for the post Ken.
    Very inventive, my hat is off to the person the came up with the idea and put to fruition.
    But I think if I waere to go to that much trouble, I would go with a PopUP.

Maybe they had the TD, and due to close qtrs in the TD the family expanded????? :eek:

4. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

They've had the Tent on top of a car for a while. Usually a jeep or Rover. Platform on roof and then the popup tent. Africa, was one place I believe... interesting though..

5. Hilditch

Hilditch Novice

It's a Rover option. Sets up and packs up faster than a CI. Mattress included.

[​IMG]

Hilditch, 1%er

6. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

He did say that he had the tent/platform 1st, to use on his tow vehicle's roof. He's a metalworker, and had seen several teardrops, including CampInns. He decided he'd try to build his own, and actually did a very good job. He added the canvas that drops from the tent to the ground, which does give some added protected space. Certainly a unique combo.

7. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  8. starlight

starlight Novice

Autohome usa also has some nifty rooftop tents. We checked them out as a possible option before opting for the teardrop. Cost a pretty penny, but a neat concept. I think there is a company out there that builds teardrops with rooftop tents as an option. Thanks for sharing the links.
    -Stelena

9. monique06

monique06 Newbie

Pretty cool and nice for a tent. Very unique, never seen in my life like this one. :) congratulations ken