UnderCarriage Protection and Potential Leaks

Discussion in 'Care & Maintenance' started by FredK, Apr 5, 2015.

1. FredK

FredK Newbie

Hi everyone: we're very new to Forum and getting ready to place an order for a 560 Ultra.

I've been very impressed with Camp Inn given all that is positive after months of research including this forum. Today, however, I noticed in pictures provided by a proud new owner of lightly used 560, that the plywood undercarriage did not have any more protection that a clear coat.

We live in Kent, Washington, were rain is part of life, and thus we worry about wood rot and water damage generally.

Coincidentally, we live a little ways from the Airstream Dealer (down the street) and it seems their repair shop is very busy with these kinds of issues in their models.

What has the experience been among proud and satisfied Camp Inn models when it comes to water damage? Ought we be concerning about water damaging the integrity of the Ultra Rain Drop as we drive it through more often than not some days?

Thanks

Fred & Hilda

2. FredK

FredK Newbie

Hello Jenn:

Very kind of you to reply! I appreciate your open-ness so much!
    I would imagine this is a 'touchy' subject. Though I can appreciate that one of the greatest challenge for any manufacturer is overcoming issues such as water leaks given the complexity of the manufacturing process and the user/environment mix.

My direct observation of manufacturing and watching the Camp Inn video has convinced me that quality control is in place where it needs to be.

I will speak with Cary at Camp Inn. I know what Airstream and other manufacturers do, for it seems all RV's sooner or later deal with this issue.

Best,

Fred

3. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Howdy Fred,

I just sold mine, I'm in Kent also, and for 6+yrs never had a problem with the undercarriage

As I said, I live in Kent too, same rain.

Hope that helps.

4. michaelo

michaelo Novice

Hi Fred
    I may have a unique perspective in this regard cuz I presently own a Camp-Inn, Airstream and Cape George sailboat. All three use marine grade plywood in their construction. Our sailboat's plywood is over 40 years old and is still structurally sound. The boats main bulkhead is made of the stuff, this critical component prevents the tremendous forces of a sailboats mast, rigging and sails from collapsing the hull sides. There is a popular class of sailboats in the PNW, the Thunderbirds, made entirely of marine plywood, a lot of these boats are going strong after decades in the harsh marine environment. Marine ply is an amazing material. That's what the legendary PT boats of World War II were made of. After the war a lot of the PTs transitioned into civilian life as work boats and yachts and served their owners for decades more. When I got the factory tour at Camp-Inn and learned from Cary that they use the stuff to make their trailers I was truly impressed. Now all trailers and boats are going to leak at some point, all that pounding they take from pot holes and heavy seas are gonna break the seal in even the best caulking material over time. That's why Camp-Inn and Airstream for that matter seal the end grain, a very sound practice. I was on Airforums for months before we bought Dizzy and there are folks that have issues with leaking Airstreams but the leaks do not destroy the trailer, they are fixed and returned to service. We all know what happens to particle board when it gets wet it turns to mush. Susan and I are always so delighted to see vintage Airstreams in the campgrounds, still out camping while lesser brands have crumbled to dust.

[​IMG]

I think Camp-Inns are gonna do the same, give their owners decades of camping adventures.

[​IMG]

Michael

5. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

I think part of the challenge as Jenn points out that if you coat the undercarriage, you need to make sure every square inch is completely covered. If water gets up in there and it cannot air out, it will rot.

As Michael also points out, CampInn uses Marine grade plywood not standard plywood. This is a vastly different material meant to stand up against the harsh, wet environments.

Here is a little reading material on the difference
    http://www.doityourself.com/stry/marine-plywood-vs-regular-plywood

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  6. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Uhmmm, I think I remember a whole discussion on the coating or none coating thing and some were talking about the Linux? spray coating...

Believe the final outcome was NOT to do it... for some of the reasons above..

It's buried in the forum somewhere..
    do a search for "Undercoating" and there are a few threads there to catch up on...

7. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

http://www.campinnforum.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4606&page=1

8. FredK

FredK Newbie

Hello fpoole: very nice of you to write! I appreciate your answer very much. It seems the overwhelming response is 'not to worry'. I have the distinct impression that the CampInn is great success to almost everyone who has the privilege of owning one. Best, Fred

9. FredK

FredK Newbie

Hi Michael. thank you for the historical overview. I grew up in the plywood business on Vancouver Island, and actually working in the plant during the summers while in college. Glad to know it was marine plywood that is being used.

What you write tells me I have really nothing to worry about for I will be storing the trailer in a heated garage.

I'm not knocking airstreams and actually am pleased they are selling so well down the street.

Noticed you are pulling a Camp Inn with a mini....... which leads to my next set of questions. What kind of tow vehicle is best? Would like to purchase a Camp Inn 560 Ultra?

Thanks again,

Fred

10. FredK

FredK Newbie

Jay N Valerie: thank you for taking the time to reply and informing me as to the nature of marine grade plywood.

I'm starting to appreciate more deeply as to why CampInn is so successful.

My the folks on Forum are exceedingly generous. Thanks very much!

FredK

11. FredK

FredK Newbie

Hi Joan: thanks for this thread. I just read it and found it very informative.

I think my concerns have been solidly addressed. I will make sure to look after my Camp Inn and rely on its good craftsmanship and enjoy!

Best,
    FredK