Tv Replaced

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Warren Mary Ellen, Jun 13, 2021.

1. I had posted several months about an issue with our TV leaking an oily substance. It has gone one on for at least 2-3 years of the 6 we’ve had our 560. Up until recently, it stayed on the TV & didn’t get on anything else. The TV did work although I only played a DVD in it once for about 30 seconds. We did that when we contacted Cary & he asked if it worked.

Since it appeared the problem was getting worse, we checked with Camp Inn to make sure what to do to properly remove the TV. To keep from seeing what we store there, we covered the opening with a sheet of opaque black acrylic that we ordered from Amazon. Glued it with Gorilla glue & looks like the TV is still there. We measured & the size we ordered (12x16x1/8 inches) didn’t have to be cut. To make sure nothing shifted from behind it to damage the acrylic we added a piece of cardboard.

No big deal to us that it became a problem. We had planned on ordering a camper without a TV, but ours came from Poplar Hill & they ordered it with a TV.

Hopefully this will work & we’ll find out tomorrow as we are headed out for 3 nights at Table Rock State Park, not too far from home. In the next year or so we plan to get Jeremiah in for a checkup in Necedah & we’ll look for a more permanent solution for the opening.

View attachment 7296

Attached Files:

Kevin and Ken & Peggy like this.
  2. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

What’s the inner dimension? Thickness as well as height/width….

You may find a lcd screen that fits..OR new old stock on the tv itself.

sounds like a capacitor blew its electrolyte. That is easily fixed in you catch it in time….the juices are corrosive. But, if stoppped before they eat the board it may be fixable….

3. M&L

M&L Ranger

I'd be curious to know what was leaking out of the TV. I'm guessing since the TV is 12Vdc that there isn't a transformer (a likely source of seepage), so I'm leaning toward Sweeney's suggestion that it could have been a leaky capacitor.

Whatever it is, I'm curious how prevalent this problem is, and also want to avoid having the same problem with my TV.

Kevin likes this.

4. When we first noticed it, Cary had not had one do this. He asked if it still worked. We had never used it so I had to go try it out to answer him. It played a DVD and that 30 second test was the only time the TV was ever used. Based on our conversations with Cary & Craig, We we’re just the lucky ones who had this problem.

Kevin and M&L like this.
  5. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Lucky you. :)

I know TV repair shops are a thing of the past -- but they do exist. Here in Indianapolis I know of a couple of them. Beyond that, check phone repair shops -- if my hunch is right, it should be fixable (is that a word?) possibly even easily cheaply. There's only 1 electronic component that has an oily substance involved --- its a capacitor, and if there was enough to escape the case - its probably one that is reasonably large (physically) and those are easy to replace.

Home | In Home Repair and TV Repair | townville -- looks like these guys might be able to help - if you're profile is up to date they don't look too far away....

The bigger question is 'why' - likely over-voltage and it "boiled" or just a defective part...it happens. There is a whole conspiracy theory about capacitors back in the day. Capacitor plague - Wikipedia - I'm not convinced it was every really fixed. I've had these things explode on my bench before even after 2007.

I hate to see broken CampInn's....even if it isn't a feature you use very much...nothing like having a totall sorted out rig...
    My most recent experience is on a supersonic tv. The same manufacturer that made the TV you have....having just done surgery attempting to remote mount the screen --- Quality standards aren't the worst I've seen -- but they aren't the best either.

Don't throw it away -- recycle it if you must.

6. M&L

M&L Ranger

Thank you for the follow-up information!

Warren Mary Ellen likes this.

7. We recycled it. Took it a little while ago in fact. TV repair for me would probably be a in Atlanta or Charlotte. Either way a 100 miles from here.

Kevin likes this.