TV mudflaps

Discussion in 'Towing & Tow Vehicles' started by Chuckwagon, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Chuckwagon

Chuckwagon Junior Ranger

Hi, our 560 order is placed and now as we wait, we are wondering about mudflaps for the tow vehicle (Subaru Outback). What size do we need to protect the camper from debris that the tv might kick up? Do they provide significant protection? Do they produce a drag that reduces fuel economy?

Thanks for any advice!
    Sharon

2. Chuckwagon

Chuckwagon Junior Ranger

Thanks Jenn. I wasn't planning on getting the Alcan until enough damage (scratches/dents) occurred to want to cover them up.

3. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

That's funny, an ounce of prevention or a pound of cure? Reminds me of a poem from my childhood. The town had a beautiful view from the cliff but the people kept falling off so they had to decide if they should put a fence around the edge of the cliff or an ambulance in the valley. The ambulance won because it wasn't the dropping that hurt people so much as the shock down below when they were stopping. I know it has nothing to do with the subject but just brought back this memory to me.

4. Chuckwagon

Chuckwagon Junior Ranger

Oh, I just found Evan's 2010 post with a great picture of his Rock Tamer mudflaps that attach to the hitch. I bet they do the trick!

5. pbaker2225

My daughter made a rock tamer for me. It is made from the bristles that people use behind their motor homes to keep rocks off the car they are towing. She welded the framework and we bolted the bristle assembly on. It is a lot lighter than the ones you buy and slips over the stinger. I still can't seem to post a picture. I did get it into the ftp file. I think.

6. birder526

birder526 Novice

Hi!

I asked the question about Alcan covers on another thread and received two responses back, both very much in favor of it. Not just for the protection, but Michaelo said it is foam backed and helps a bit with insulation and keeping condensation down.

Best,
    Diane

7. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

Have you considered Rhino Guard or a similar product that is used for spray in bed liners. It would probably be about the same cost as the cover and should last the life of the trailer. If I had to do it over that is what I would choose. My alcan cover is wrinkled and I need to remove it to get it back where it should be. Dave

8. GinaNBob

GinaNBob Novice

Dave
    We have a jeep grand Cherokee and put on mud flaps on front and back wheel wells when we went to canada last year. No camper in tow yet. Bought the mud flaps to decrease the knicks and dings that gravel causes when they hit the car. Worth the investment. Minimal dingage. No noticeable loss in gas mileage. We also added the roof rack at the same time for the fishing rod cases. Got 22 mpg which is great for the hemi engine!
    We did have the Alcan cover added to our order for our 560 due to be picked up in the spring.
    Gina

9. David Olson

David Olson Novice

We have this same type of attachment just not the "Rock Tamer" brand.
    It attaches to the hitch. I would never tow without it. It keeps an amazing amount of mud and rock marks off our camper.

10. Kelly

Kelly Novice

I started out with just Rock Tamers but had the Alcan cover added a few months ago. I chose to add the Alcan cover because I am looking at replacing my vehicle in the next year or so but have noticed the exhaust systems on many new models present heat transfer problems for Rock Tamers (unless there is a willingness to divert the exhaust to the side or maybe downwards). I just raise this as a point to consider. It may or may not apply to your particular setup.

11. birder526

birder526 Novice

Michael and I have read about Towtector brush mud flaps as an option. One thing we noticed about this set-up -vs- Rock Tamers, is that the brush mud flaps go tight against the hitch on each side, whereas the Rock Tamers leave a few inches gap from the end of the flap to the hitch itself, on each side...less protection?
    Of course, this makes us wonder if we need the Alcan cover if we have a really good mud flap set-up. We welcome your comments!

Diane

12. pbaker2225

I went to my local independent repair shop and for $50. he routed my tail pipe to the side. I felt like the extra protection of the Alcan cover was worth having even though I have the rock tamer.

13. David Olson

David Olson Novice

I also added a short angled tailpipe extension to divert the heat to the side more.

14. rgupnorth

rgupnorth Junior Ranger Donating Member

When I started using my Jeep Laredo I had more of a problem with mud/stones getting kicked up. Checked out the rock tamers and decided I could probably build something myself.

Here is my material list:
    1 - 1.25" x 1.25" x 0.25" x 72" - structured aluminum angle - $26.00
    1 pair - 24" x 24" x 0.25" truck mudflaps - $29.00

8 - 5/16" x 1.5" fender washers
    8 - 5/16" x 18 - hex nuts
    8 - 5/16" lock washers
    8 - 5/16" x 18 x 1.25" tap bolts
    1 - 3/8" - 16 - 3"x4" U-bolt square bend
    Total - $8.50

+ about an hour and fifteen minutes assembly time to drill holes & tighten bolts.

If I ever figure out how to add an image to a post I will. But they turned out pretty decent. Limitation would be that the mudflap height is based on the Jeep I have.