TV Antenna

Discussion in 'Technology Corner' started by ghaynes, Sep 30, 2012.

1. ghaynes

ghaynes Novice

I noticed in one of the photos that someone is using the Philips HDTV antenna. This is the one that is a slim grey unit, model SDV2940/27.

My question has to do with the power inserter module. It comes with an AD/DC unit. The power adapter I have says 6V out as does the input on the inserter. Checked the power on the inverter and it is putting out 9.5V.

I would like to hook it into the CI 12V lines.

If you have this antenna do you use the inline power insertion module? If so how did you supply power if you don't have 120V hooked up? And lastly where did you put the inserter if you are using it? I was thing about attaching it inside between the TV and the incoming cable but don't know if that will mess up a connection if I am in a campsite that offers cable.

2. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

Gary,

I have one of those antenna's. Only used with 110 power. Use an extension cord to power inside the tear.

Have tried using twice, maybe 3 times with poor reception. Which may be more related to camp ground location versus product.

Jean

3. I'm reviving this thread to ask if anyone has any good suggestions about television antennas for their Tear? My ideal set up would collapse or fold down for storage, and would be able to run on 12v. Well - and of course - it would also do a good job of pulling in signals!

There was a couple near me at CICO (Deb was the wife, and I'm temporarily forgetting the husband's name - Gary?) anyway, he had this great home made unit. I'm just not handy in that way.

Evan - you had done much research at the time of your TD pick up. Are you still using the same antenna?

4. slumry

slumry Novice

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  5. ghaynes

ghaynes Novice

I've got this on on a telescoping painters pole. Still working on the best solution for power but for right now hook it up to a 9 volt battery. Runs without powering the active receiver but much better with it, more channels. And out in the boonies its amazing the strange low power stations that it picks up. One night I swear I had the Leave it to Beaver channel. All Beave and Wally, all the time.

6. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Was it Deb & Bob M. from Elkhorn, WI?

:cool:

7. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Ya Betsey, that was Bob M. who made the neat homemade one.

As for using a 9.5v inserter inside the camper try something like this:http://www.powerstream.com/dc6.htm
    We have used these before for low voltage accessories and they work good.

Cary

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  8. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Heheh, just ordered one, but not a clue as to what it is...
    Just if Cary says "Get it" I do.. LOL... I guess I'll figure it out when I get it... I'm assuming (Hoping?) that it's auto setting on the voltage and won't 'Burn" out a cell phone or battery charger for AAA etc batteries..

9. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Rick - sorry I missed your question earlier.
    I'm sure the antenna still works great, but I didn't take it out at all last year. (We pack less gear every trip, and haven't found much time to sit in the tear.)

10. Yes Cary and Betsey, it was Deb and BOB who had the neat home made TV antenna. They were so nice to me at CICO. They helped me back in to my camp site and sort of took me under their wing the entire weekend.

Evan - I think it's fabulous that you didn't use your TV antenna this whole past season!

Thanks Stephen and Shirley. I will probably give the one you have a try.

11. Bought a $15.00 RadioShack old school antenna. Hooked it up and even in my bad reception zone at the bottom of the hill where I live I was able to receive HD channels. Came with all the cable you need. Put it on top of the tear. Awesome.