WI Private CG Tunnel Trail Campground-sparta, Wi

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by hiadventurer, May 15, 2018.

1. hiadventurer

hiadventurer Junior Ranger

Located near Wilton WI directly on the Sparta/Elroy bike trail. Sparta Trail is the first Rails to Trails path. Great campground, owner, Scott is great! Exceeded all of our expectations. Campground is privately owned, is extremely clean and well cared for. Is a family type of campground with pool, mini golf.etc. We camped here first part of May and was not busy. During the.peak of the season this place gets quite busy. Has electric and some pull through sites. Also has shower house with I individual showers. If you are biking the Sparta Trail (which I would highly recommend) great place to stay. The bike trail has three train tunnels the longest is 3/4 mile long! Round trip from campground to view all three tunnels is 32 miles. We definitely return.

Tour 931 and Warren Mary Ellen like this.
  2. skissinger

skissinger Ranger Donating Member

I’ve been to that campground before and am good friends with the owners. I agree, a nice campground and being close to the bike trail and rail tunnels is cool.

3. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

We've ridden the Elroy-Sparta a couple times, and it's worth the trip for sure. But we've always stayed at a friend's cabin near Viroqua when we did, so can't comment on the campground.

4. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Another nice one in Wilton, and a favorite, is the Wilton Community Campground. It backs up to the Kickapoo River. It is a small, family style campground with no real designated sites but lots of grass, shade and electrical hookups, if you need them. Has a laundry, bathrooms and a shower house (outside access through individual doors for each shower.) Nice playground and large grassy/shady tent area. Next to the Municipal pool and City Hall (including library). On Sunday mornings, there is an All You Can Eat pancake & sausage breakfast at the community center for $5.00. Campground costs: $7/per person/per night; $4 for kids under 18; electric $3/per night.

Only a couple of blocks to downtown Wilton (small grocery store, ice cream shop, Hitchin' Post (bar & grill) & Twisted Sisters (bar/food). A couple of miles from the Dorset Valley Schoolhouse restaurant (excellent food - everything is made on site, including the amazing pies and bread/rolls).

Ken & Peggy likes this.
  5. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

Thanks for the tip. Plans to explore many rail trails when I retire......soon......not soon enough! :(

Warren Mary Ellen likes this.