Trying to find a way to bring the Harley along.

Discussion in 'Towing & Tow Vehicles' started by jpbrew, Apr 4, 2011.

1. jpbrew

jpbrew Novice

Hey guys, I've been doing a lot of research into rigs in where I could bring the Harley on trips with a TD as well. So far the only way would be to use a pickup truck as a TV and put the Harley in the bed of the truck. I don't own a pick up.
    I've found several rigs which would fit into a class 4 reciever that would lift the harley using hydrolics, but then could not tow a trailer behind that, or at least not a loaded trailer. However most rigs would allow for "Flat towing" a car up to 5000 lbs as this rigs do have a 2 inch reciever which would allow for additional towing. But to put another 160 pounds of hitch weight on these rigs is not recommended.
    Has anyone seen a rig setup which woulkd allow for a large motorcycle and towing a TD as well outside of using a pickup?

JP

2. Bazza2154

Bazza2154 Novice

Buy a big flat bed trailer and put the TD and the Harley on that.

Kevin likes this.
  3. Hilditch

Hilditch Novice

A. Ride the bike.
    B. A 16' x 8' toybox for both to ride in.
    C. I've seen a class A with a big bike on the back hydraulic lift towing a trailer. The owner of the N.O. KOA has one.

Hilditch

4. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Build a platform on the roof of the car with a long, long ramp. Seen this done with off road dirt bikes. You would probably need a pretty serious platform for a Harley, I know my full dress would be real exciting riding up onto something like this.

When I seen it done on car roofs it was on cars where the owner really did not care. Hard to do without drilling some holes in your bodywork and bolting some steel in pretty securely. Not something likely to be done on a daily driver.

Cary

5. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

JP,

Did you check for innovative options with a HD dealer?

6. jpbrew

jpbrew Novice

Yes I did. They suggested tandum trailering. Not hot on that idea at all.

JP

7. jpbrew

jpbrew Novice

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  8. Bazza2154

Bazza2154 Novice

What do you think the tongue weight goes on that when fully loaded all that weight in front of the trailers axel

9. Hilditch

Hilditch Novice

1,237 lbs. with one Harley. Stupidity has no limit.

Hilditch

10. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

It doesn't work. Requires a class V hitch basically to haul anything and that would be a 1 ton truck or larger. Might as well just put the bike in the bed of the truck then. We get asked this alot.

Cary