Transmission Cooler?

Discussion in 'Towing & Tow Vehicles' started by Chuckwagon, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Chuckwagon

Chuckwagon Junior Ranger

We plan on towing our 560 with a 2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium --4 cylinder w CVT(continuously variable transmission). Our car will often be fully loaded with passengers and gear and we will will be driving long distances in mountainous regions. It seems like spending a small amount of money by installing a transmission cooler to protect the TV (rated to tow 2700pounds) would be a good idea. I tried calling the Subaru dealer, but they didn't seem to know much about towing. Does anyone here have experience with this?

Sharon

2. Chaos

Chaos Newbie

I installed a B&M Supercooler in my wife's RAV4.
    It was a little work to squeeze it in between the Radiator and the grill but it worked out OK. Just make sure that the fluid lines are well protected since a cut / ruptured hose could destroy your CVT.

Your Subaru might already route your transmission fluid through your radiator. I'd check before deciding what size cooler to add.

3. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

Craig and Betsey tow with Outbacks and can provide excellant answers. Having Camped with Craig, he shares many on the road car repair stories. He is a walking encyclopedia!! (Betsey is smiling and shaking her head in agreement).

I also learned a lot about knowledge levels, or maybe should say, misinformed beliefs, about towing capacities with Outbacks. March 2012 the water pump went out in my Subaru in Florida. The Gainesville Florida staff firmly believed I should not be towing the 550 teardrop with the Outback. Well, needless to say after many phone calls with CampInn and the Eau Claire, Wi salesperson, I learned the "Southern" boys believe the 4 cylinder engine was not sufficient to tow. In the end we agreed to disagree.

I would also suggest you contact Chilson Auto in EauClaire, Wi to talk with Mark Foos. He knew of Camp Inn teardrops, towing capacity, and everything Subaru. He will provide accurate information. Eau Claire: 1-800-455-0701

4. Chuckwagon

Chuckwagon Junior Ranger

Thanks Jean! :D

5. Mark_inMA

Mark_inMA Novice

I too tow with a 2010 Subaru 2.5 with CVT.

I believe the 2010 already has a separate tranny cooler - look.
    Maybe the engineers were a little concerned with the new-to-Subaru CVT?
    In 2011 or 2012 they replaced it with common fluid/water heat exchanger in the radiator.
    Claim it gets the fluid up to temp quicker (viscosity) and controls temperature better
    due to the regular coolant thermostat.

My first suggestion would be to replace the $250+ special CVT fluid replacement at
    Subaru "severe service" intervals or less.

If you want to get a replacement cooler installed, plan on the cost of dealer install and that $$$ fluid.
    Subaru warns their dealers to NOT return the fluid if it is removed. What warranty on $5K CVT?

Second suggestion is do brief but full stop before shifting R -> D or D -> R especially with extra trailer inertia.
    The CVT controller normally protects the drive belt like mama bear but has to reconfigure R -> D and D -> R.
    Rolling reversals is the one time you might be able to slip the CVT drive belt ($5K replace CVT).
    I don't mean to sound like doom but that is the only CVT quirk I have heard of.

I have only put 8500 miles on the 560 trailer since March 2013 but it is part of nearly 100K problem free
    miles on my 2010 Outback. I have not driven the Rockies but have had no problems driving KC, Memphis,
    Tuskegee and two hours in GA heat when dragging brakes set a truck on fire.
    No summer problems on the loong grades on I-89 in Vermont or I-90W crossing the Berkshires to Albany NY

I initially considered upgrading the cooler but decided against it.
    If I do a trip to the southern rockies, I am still considering an aftermarket Gauge Package like
    ScanGauge or UltraGauge that plug into the industry standard diagnostic connector by the hood release.
    It can get and display some of parameters such as Coolant temperature. Haven't found
    if 2010 has CVT temperature available. One vendor even allowed alarm limits to be set.
    Alternately there is an Android app that can talk wirelessly via bluetooth to a cheaper OBD2
    interface plugin box. Pick between Phone, GPS, Camera or Gauges hmmm... NAAHHH!