Trailer Regular Maintenance Tips...food For Discussion For New Owners, Those Considering...

Discussion in 'Towing & Tow Vehicles' started by Kevin, Jun 11, 2022.

1. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Found this at e-trailer.
    I know there is more pertinent stuff in owners manual and scattered in threads but thought it might be handy to revisit that...with tips from wise elders, as desired.

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-traile... Hitch&utm_content=20220610-T-TrlSafetyWk-edu

I'm racking up the miles so need to get on it myself...adding mental note to inspect frame, etc after xxx miles on bumpy roads heavy loaded.

Jerry Kemp and SethB like this.
  2. Jerry Kemp

Jerry Kemp Junior Ranger

even if just used as a starter for your own personal list, at least for me, check list are imperative for any successful trip, be it an hour away trip to the lake, or a multi-state journey.

Thank you for sharing.

campdude and Kevin like this.
  3. campdude

campdude Ranger

Use the checklist until it becomes in grained as a habit everyone you use the trailer

Kevin likes this.
  4. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I'm a fan of using a checklist even after its a habit. Being a pilot, there are checklists for everthing....Pre-flight checks, checks just before take off, checks for beginning a climb, leveling out...descent....you name it, there's probably a checklist. Each of those checklists were paid for by some one who paid a very high price.

While a camper isn't an airplane (Try pulling off to the side of the road in an airplane :D ) my checklists do include things like "undies", asprin, anatacid, as well as tire preasure and tire damage...etc. Even if you know it by heart, the checklist psychologically keeps you accountable, even if only to yourself...

campdude, Kevin and Mark & Mel like this.
  5. SLO Camper

SLO Camper Junior Ranger

There is a great book called The Checklist Manifesto by a surgeon, Atul Gawandwe, about this very interesting subject. I highly recommend it.

Kevin likes this.
  6. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

"The checklist cannot be lengthy. A rule of thumb some use is to keep it to between five and nine items, which is the limit of working memory."

My checklist would look like this:

1} Check items on checklist A
    2} Check items on checklist B
    3} Check items on checklist C

Kevin and André like this.