Trailer 7 prong connector.... something to check

Discussion in 'Electrical & Mechanical Issues' started by Travelguy, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Travelguy

Travelguy Novice

Well writing this because it will at some point affect all of us using our trailers. Esp when you need your brake lights and turn signals to work.
    I thought my left turn signal/brake light had burned out so bought a new one and threw the old one out... much to my grief found the new one did not work either. Come to find out that where your 7 prong connector plugs into your tow vehicle the pins on the female side can become compressed over time like mine did....hence no connection. After I bent the tabs back to a v-patter instead of a compressed V-pattern the trailer lights all worked again.
    Check this first if your lights are not working or your not getting power back to your trailer. Simple fix and saves you money buying parts you do not need. Wish i had not thrown away that brake light... probably still worked great.

Kevin likes this.
  2. Steve & Ellen

Steve & Ellen Novice

Very good info. Thank You very much. Now to remember when time arrives. Steve

3. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

Exactly! Memory is the first thing to go...

4. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

Thats good to know thanks :)