550 / 560 [tools] Robertson/square Head Screws On My 550

Discussion in 'Camp-Inn Options & Accessories' started by Jerry Kemp, May 24, 2020.

1. Jerry Kemp

Jerry Kemp Junior Ranger

So I just picked up my (used but new to me) 550 yesterday. I'm looking at the fasteners used by the factory on some of the external items.

If I weren't an old car/truck nut, but as I am, old, nasty, rusty and/or oxidized fasteners are something I'm continually looking at/for.

Back on subject, I see square headed screws externally on my 550, which I recognize as Robertson head screws. No doubt, these are wonderful screws, but my current understanding is that these are only available in Canada, due to patent/copyright issues.

Either way, I don't have any Robertson head screw drivers. I incorrectly assumed that an appropriate one might be available for purchase from the Camp-Inn web site store, but if they are there, I don't see them.

I'm down in the deep South, so its not like a quick drive north of the border to pick up the correct tool.

For those of you who have the correct Robertson/square head screw driver(s), where did you get them? I'd need to order it/them, so if you have a source store, or, Amazon would be even better, I'd very much appreciate your pointers.

2. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

3. Lipster

Lipster Junior Ranger

Home Depot has them.

tdldjdx2 and Jerry Kemp like this.
  4. Jerry Kemp

Jerry Kemp Junior Ranger

5. Jerry Kemp

Jerry Kemp Junior Ranger

Thanks for your reply.

Do you mean actual Robertson screw drivers? Or shanks like rotus8 mentioned above?

And if you do mean actual Robertson screw drivers, I'm curious where your (general not specific) location is?

In my location, I have Home Depot, Lowes and Ace Hardware chain stores, and I've never seen Robertson head screw drivers for sale at any of my local locations. I'm located ~30 miles north of the DFW metro area.

6. Lipster

Lipster Junior Ranger

I have both bits/shanks for power drivers, and some that are like a screwdriver, I'm sure I got some of the hand drivers at Home Depot. Go to their website and search for "square headed screwdriver". A bunch pop up.

7. Jerry Kemp

Jerry Kemp Junior Ranger

side note - admins, hope this is OK to post here as it is somewhat related.

In doing preparation for my Camp-Inn, if you need to replace any of your worn or broken Robertson/square head screws, this site appears that they offer replacements.

Screws

8. Jerry Kemp

Jerry Kemp Junior Ranger

Understood, FWIW, (and I don't mean to make a bigger deal out of a simple screw than is necessary), its always nice be able to go to a brick-n-morter store and be able to look at and put your hands on an item if possible. And again, if I can, its nice to be able to support the local store(s) and economy, doubly so in our current Corona virus ridden times.

9. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Square head screws are very common here in the US (Canadian patent ran out decades ago). Most deck screws used today are square drive and you will find most construction trades use them instead of Phillips. So, any lumberyard or hardware store will have drivers for them.

One reason we made the switch to them was the hex head drive screws we used made it hard to wash the camper, they would snag on sponges and rags. The square drive are a nice pan head which sponges and rags slide right over. We avoid Phillips because there is just far too much of a risk of a driver slipping out and hitting the skin of the camper when inserting screws.

Cary

Van_and_Terri and Jerry Kemp like this.
  10. Jerry Kemp

Jerry Kemp Junior Ranger

Hello Cary,

Thank you for the reply.

Please don't take my comments for a complaint. I'm neither a fan of slotted or Phillips headed screws. The square head screws look to be awesome. They just aren't something that is common, at least in my area.

Either way, I ordered the shank set from Amazon, as Rotus8 provided a pointer for, and I will be set for any of my square headed screw needs.

11. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Jerry,

One more note on the external body screws. Avoid messing with them at all. Don't check them to see if they are tight or anything. We glue each and every external screw in place on our campers. Tightening them up for good measure or if you change one out would break them loose and also break the seal. If for some reason you have to service a screw on the outside of the camper body fully remove the screw and refill the screw hole with a silicone or urethane sealant before reinstalling it.

Cary

12. Jerry Kemp

Jerry Kemp Junior Ranger

Thank you Cary for the note on the glued in screws.

I just like to be prepared. The best time to acquire a new tool is when (or hopefully before) you need it.

Cary Winch likes this.
  13. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

quality work. I’ve seen rvs wih screws stripped, not installed at all, or the heads torqued off complete. Nice to know there is still pride and workmanship in this country somewhere...just not Elkhart.

14. SouthernStar

SouthernStar Newbie

Sorry for digging up an old thread. My trailer is a bit older and I have the hex head screws. So, the newer trailers have stainless square head drive (Robertson) screws in them where the older trailer had the hex head galvanized?

Another somewhat related question. I've read quite a bit about galvanic corrosion occuring when using screws of certain materials that touch dissimilar metals. I see some recommendations of using some type of plastic washers to keep them from touching. Is there anything to be concerned about on our teardrops?

15. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

lol. … short answer…..no. Everything I’ve seen CI do is top notch. Better than ANYTHING you’ll fine elsewhere….full stop.

Long anwer….see above :) then add, I had. 2012 560 and stupidly sold it. For 4 years we dragged it around the country. Never had a single mentionable problem besides brake that were misadjusted by a Rv shop. I’ve also had a 2019 grand design…I couldn’t unload it fast enough after a year of ownership due to pure crap construction. You could park it and watch it fall apart in slow motion. I then bought a used class A. Better, but still a money pit.

I will, in October, own a 2021 CI….anxiously awaiting delivery. I’m 54. I am 100% confident this will be the last camper I ever buy.

CI is tiny, but mighty. Have no fear. I think the dumbest thing I’ve ever done was to sell our 2012. I suspect it still look like new…

16. Jerry Kemp

Jerry Kemp Junior Ranger

As noted in my signature, my 550 is a 2014, and has the square head/Robertson screws. I'm a big fan of hex head ones, but I have no problems/issues with the ones Camp Inn installed. I just wanted to have the correct tools necessary, in case I needed them. A man can never have too many tools, and the time to buy is to anticipate and purchase before you need them, not after.

regarding dissimilar metals, AFAIK, that is galvanic corrosion.

This comment is intended as a general comment, and not focused on my trailer. First, I'm not a big fan of plastic anything. I have too many old vehicles, and I hate old rusty fasteners. Grade 8 where necessary, everywhere else, I have a fetish for stainless steel fasteners along with anti-seize.

It should go without saying, these are my opinions, and I'm just some guy on the Internet. With all things regarding your Camp Inn trailer, Cary is and should be the authority over anyone here.

Kevin likes this.
  17. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

Kreg Jig screws are the same as the Robertson head screws. If you can't find the screws at your local h/w store, you can get them on Amazon. We bought a bulk of them recently because we use them for pocket holes on projects in our woodshop.

Kevin likes this.
  18. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I get them off amazon made from Stainless Steel -- When they are buried under dicor its probably not all that important -- but exposed, I wouldn't want any corrosion on my baby :)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2022
    Kevin likes this.
  19. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Not sure what Campinn uses, I'd also guess there it depends on where they are used. I hate to speak too much for their internal processes. I have a bunch of 3/4" pan head robertson drives screw in my tool kit. Though, I hever needed them on either of my campinns.

What are you planning on using them for? Do you have a need or are just looking for spares? After 3000 miles and 50 nights I havn't needed a single one, and I do look for things like this. Water is the mortal enemy of campers. For what its worth, my 2012 that I foolishly sold was much older and many more miles -- and I never needed a screw for it either. CI puts a tremendous amount of care into this area.

I have a bunch of pan head Robertsons that I got specifically to install a new vent fan in my Grand Design. I got a supply off amazon. Amazon has a nice 'screw finder' that you can build your custom order. Just serach for 'screws' then you find anything you need. You can search head shape, size, length, material, intended use --- almost as nice as McMaster-Carr.

Yes -- the screws that are used in Kreg Jigs are also Robertsons as well. But Kreg is proud of their screws -- they work in the same business model as Gillette ---give the handle away, make the mondy on the blades...

Robertson screws are used all over in the RV business --- no problem what so ever finding them.

What is Dicor? It's a necessary nightmare for (sub-)standard trailers ;) Dicor is fortunately something not something we have to contend with.

Dicor is a self leveling sealant that comes in a caulking tube. You would screw down whatever you want, then put a layer of sealant over all the screws, seams, edges or anywhere water might get in. Dicor goes on thick and flows very very slowly over about several hours, filling any voids, and gaps --- sticking to everything in comes in contact with. It encapsulates everything it flows over in this rubbery gum that is all but impossible to remove, then it waits silently for about 18-24 months when it will crack, potentially opening up to give water a place to get in. So, any RV owner needs to get on their roof twice a year and re-seal the cracks that have shown up.

In reality -- its not really all that bad. Until....you need to remove something, like an antenna, vent fan, or black/grey tank vent. You need to remove the dicor first. It took me 2-3 hours to remove and replace a broken ceiling vent. The actual replacement took 10 minutes.

I have a love/hate relationship with the stuff --- its great for keeping water out, but nasty to work with when it comes time to remove it.

Kevin likes this.
  20. SethB

SethB Ranger

#2 robertson is the most common size. I’ve owned a couple 2012 CIs, never needed to use a robertson aka square drive. Wait- I think the battery clamp screw may be square.

I did use a robertson #2 plenty when upgrading a 4WheelCamper Fleet.

Next time you’re in a real hardware store spend a buck and get a #2 in a 1/4” hex bit for your hand driver or drill/impact driver. Get a 5”-ish hex extension while you’re at it, that clamp is way in there!

Kevin likes this.