Tongue Weight For Subaru

Discussion in 'Towing & Tow Vehicles' started by Tour 931, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

My tongue weight needs to be under 200 pounds but getting it that low seems to be difficult. Right now I have an old spring bathroom scale and can read instantly the weight change when I put something inside the trailer. Even the door position makes a difference of three pounds depending on whether it is open or closed.

Currently I have the galley fully loaded but not the entire cabin. I suspect I will add another 100 pounds. My scale reads 165 pounds with 45 pounds of extra counter weight in the galley well. My goal is 185 to 195 pounds. So where I place the 100 pounds is crucial.

Any comments or suggestions?

Alan J. August and RollingRob like this.
  2. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Gene,

First question is how is the scale set up? When the tongue is on the scale it is it level as it would be when connected to the car? This is very important for weighing tongue weight. Just setting the tongue down on the scale will throw the reading off greatly (it will increase the tongue weight). If you are not already, set some blocks of wood on the scale to get the height correct and adjust the zero on the scale to account for the blocks.

Cary

RollingRob likes this.
  3. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

Or put the scales on top of the blocks :) . Trailer leveling Lego blocks work well.

Stand to the side and look at the axle. Anything behind the axle will subtract from the weight, anything in front will add. If you put stuff over the axle it will be neutral. The cupboards over the foot of the bed are behind the axle so keep heavy stuff like tools and spare batteries there.

Cary Winch and RollingRob like this.
  4. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Here is how I’m weighing it. Currently I’m not working on it so I put all but 20 pounds on the stand.

5. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I’m still trying to upload the pictures. I am measuring the tongue weigh correctly and I understand the axle thing. I drove long haul and most trailers have an adjustable bridge so I’m use to calculating weight on tires.

6. mariusz

mariusz Junior Ranger

More you put in the galley, the less weight at the font of trailer.

7. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

On semi-trailers you can adjust the load by moving the trailer wheels forward or back. It is called the bridge. It gets complicated because adding weight to the drive tires you also add weight to the steer tires. Just the opposite of a hitch behind the turn radius.

What I was looking for was information on the suspension and frame but didn't ask correctly. My goal is not to go as light as possible and was wondering the ideal weight for the suspension. It seems to me the trailer would tow better if it was several hundred pounds heavier.

My 3.6R Subaru will tow the weight but it can't take a lot of tongue weight. If I stick with 200 pounds max (including hitch) I'm at about 165 pounds on the hitch. I'm thinking 185 pounds on the hitch so I can be up to 1,850 pounds total trailer weight. That gives me about 500 pounds of cargo. Or should I stick with 165 pounds?

8. hiadventurer

hiadventurer Junior Ranger

We have a 2013 OB with 3.6. Into year 5 with our 560. Have worked to get the best trailer pull/feel. I have settled at the 185 mark. Trailer pulls nicely and trailer rides the best. Seems balanced if that makes sense. Limited hitch and trailer bounce..

Kevin and Cary Winch like this.
  9. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I hooked up the trailer today and as
    Thanks. This comment was really helpful.

10. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I’ve added four pounds pressure to the rear TV tires.

T-minus 30 hours and counting.

11. Chuckwagon

Chuckwagon Junior Ranger

Filling both the fresh water and gray water tanks to capacity will lower the tongue weight.