Tongue Jack

Discussion in 'Custom Additions' started by Hilditch, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Hilditch

Hilditch Novice

Aesthetics:

Although Camp-Inn is totally against my center mounted tongue jack, I think it looks 100% better. If you have the SUV option, the center mount from Northern is $22. I made a 3" extension for mine, but haven't needed to use it. The wheel rides in the tear & pins on with a spring clip. Haven't dragged it yet.

The next time you hook up, look at that pretty swing-a-way and remember these pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hilditch

2. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Thanks for the photo Hilditch. Craig and I were discussing this exact thing last week. The trailer has a tendency to sit at a bit of a slant because the standard tilting jack is to the side of center. This is necessary, of course, to allow it to tilt up and down.

Craig said at one point they did try the center jack, but weren't able to keep it high enough to keep from scraping.
    I guess this would depend on your TV. Mine rides low, so I know I would have a problem.

3. Hilditch

Hilditch Novice

My Ford has ground clearance of 5 1/2". My Tacoma, 8". It really doesn't matter if the ball height is correct. If the SUV option trailer is level (Which is how it should ride.) you have 10" ground clearance under the tongue jack. This is exactly the same as the ground clearance under the rear leveling jacks.

Side note: I found if using the FAQ +/- 2" guideline for ride height, tongue weight can vary almost 40#'s. The angle of the trailer really makes a difference. My Tacoma ball 1 1/2" higher than level and the tongue loses 15#s of weight from level with a wet trailer.

Hilditch