Tire Pressure

Discussion in 'Care & Maintenance' started by Randy, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

I have an after market set of Goodyear Endurance trailer tires on my 560, ST205/75R14. Calls for 65 PSI at max load. Any recommendations for inflation pressure?

Thanks in advance,

Randy

2. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

Check out the inflation recommendation table in the middle of this page:
    ST Radial M8008 | Maxxis Tires USA

It gives some recommendations for tire pressure for different sizes of tires and loads. I looked for a similar table for Goodyear and didn't find one, but they should be the same.

Randy likes this.
  3. fernlane

fernlane Junior Ranger

the factory recommended 30 psi back in 2014 so that's what I've run. We got 46,000 out of the first set of tires and could have gone to 50k without any problem, I think.
    If you run substantially higher pressures you could get a good bit more bounciness. I like the way the 550 rides with 30 but I have to admit I haven't tried higher.

4. Hi Randy: I just bought a pair of GY Endurance as well, for the 560. I was also a little confused about the max 65psi, and some other general tire pressure info I had run across. Any problems yet running them at 30? The Maxxis chart above seems to confirm keeping it at (or even slightly below) the CI factory stamp. My OEMs were rated as a max 50 psi.

I think that some of the "common practices and accepted knowledge" about keeping the pressure somewhere between the trailer stamp min and tire stamp max, is the result of other types of trailers that vary greatly between empty and loaded weights. Which ours don't do. But I could be wrong.

5. Randy

I settled in at 50 PSI. Seems to ride just fine. It is confusing indeed!

6. Lipster

Lipster Junior Ranger

Cary has some definite opinions on tire pressures on CI's, and they vary from what is related above. Give him a call.

7. To muddy waters even further...

Some forum members have even gone to a 15" wheel and larger (circumference) tire. Using Rotus8's Maxxis chart, that would possibly involve a recalculation downward in pressure from what CI is already recommending, to keep the same ride and handling feel for a sub-2000 lb trailer. I think.

I stayed with a 205/14; I didn't want to tax my brain any further with an over-sized tire.

However, a pair of 205/14's at 30 psi will carry a load of 2600 lbs, if I'm reading these charts right. Which is still over 4/3 the weight of the trailer. To my mind, anything over 30 psi will likely result in an over-inflated tire with excessive center-wear. Again... I think.

Replacement tires (which we are all going to be forced to do sometime) are invariably going to vary in specs, ratings and sizes. There has to be a common "Golden Rule" about this as it relates to the CI. Particularly is someone isn't able to do an exact tire replacement.

If someone has the definitive answer...

LisaNKevin likes this.
  8. Randy

It varies quite a bit with after market tires. Mine are a bit larger.

9. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

The factory tire pressure range in the manual on the Camp-Inn is 28-32psi. 30psi nominal is what the VIN tag says. This is for a fully loaded camper achieving the 2000lb gross weight rating. As Steve pointed out it is good for a bit more than 2000lb, that is our safety margin in there factored in for temperature variations and such.

Some customers run less pressure for a smoother ride. If you are at a lower weight all fully loaded the tire pressures could be reduced to the tire pressure for that weight. For example I see some 550 owners run about 24psi for a smooth ride because the 550 can get a bit bouncy at 60mph due to the aero lift that body achieves. The aero lift takes weight off the tires at speed on the 550 which is already 150lb lighter. The 560 runs a bit more aero clean at speed and less effected by aero lift. Hence the 560 owners can run a higher pressure and not notice bounciness (like Randy is pointing out). The bounce is still there though just to a lesser degree because of the weight dampening (axle dampening is more effective at higher weights).

For sure I would strongly recommend not going with higher pressures beyond 20% or so. And no, the max tire pressure for the tire is never your inflation pressure. That is the max pressure the tire is rated for and you would only be using that pressure if you are at the maximum weight rating of the tire, which is not advisable. Running them at excessive tire pressure will cause two issues. One would be the center tire wear Steve described. The other would be uneven wear from the tires bouncing at speed and creating small flat spots, sort of a chatter effect due to less axle dampening of a trailer axle.

Note on this. The campers leave the factory set to 32psi. We send them out at the top end of the pressure range, give the tires time to run on the hot pavement a bit and settle in.

Cary

P.S. Yup, Lipster is right. LOL! That post made my day.

10. Lipster

Lipster Junior Ranger

For what it is worth, I was advised by someone to run 25psi in my 550, and it is perfect.

Cary Winch likes this.
  11. Thanks Cary. It just seemed at the outset that running the tire at less than half its rated max was slightly counter-intuitive.

12. Lipster

Lipster Junior Ranger

In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are often not.
    -Albert Einstein