Things To Do When The Weather Turns Bad

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lh303, May 31, 2011.

1. Lh303

Lh303 Novice

This past weekend while camping at Mesa Verde National Park we had one night where the winds were gusting to 50MPH in the evening. Too windy to sit outside, and a campfire was out of the question. Fortunately my wife had ordered a number of DVD packs including old time Westerns, Mysteries, and Horror stories. These packs will contain anywhere from 4 to 50 movies and are relatively cheap $10 to $15. We watched "Whispering Smith" an old Alan Ladd Western. Janene even brought along a bag of popcorn. Our 550 has a tv but a PC would work also. As one who generally does not go to theaters to see a movie, I can't wait until the next time that the weather doesn't cooperate.
    Leo

2. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

Sometimes in a campground you'll have internet service and if you do AND HAVE A NETFLIX ACCOUNT for $7.99/Mo. you can stream thousands of movies on your laptop. We also have a Roku box for at home for $59 one timer that we download movies a lot on. As much as I love Whispering Smith, I also like Transformers...good movie!

3. Dave

Dave Novice

Hey Leo,

How was the campground in Mesa Verde? I'm planning on getting there this summer.

4. Lh303

Lh303 Novice

Dave,
    The campground in Mesa Verde is excellent, they have a limited number of powered sites, and they do offer reservations which I would recommend if you are going to be there over a weekend. Showers are available at the store about 1/2 mile away. A couple of nice trails head out of the campground but do them early since the sun can get kind of intense at altitude. Bear in mind that the camp ground is about 8 miles from the cliff dwellings and visitor center, but it is a nice drive. From 7 to 10 AM they have an all you can eat pancake breakfast along with sausage which is a great deal. My wife is heading to a Weight Watchers meeting tonight to get re-indoctrinated after the weekend. I'm headed for the gym.