They are safe!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Oysterpot, May 2, 2010.

1. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

Just to let everyone know, Steve and Ellen who live near Ashland TN, are high and dry. I talked with Steve on phone and his roads are in bad shape, but he and Ellen are on top of a high hill. Flooding is really bad in Nashville area.

2. eileenpaine

eileenpaine Novice

Thanks for letting us know!
    Hope all is well and stays well for them!
    Eileen

3. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

Nashville, TN area is really in a bad way. Lots of major flooding. If anyone has been following the news, I am sure they have seen some of the photos.

4. Steve & Ellen

Steve & Ellen Novice

Man oh Man. We have water where there has never been water.
    Many, many homes have been destroyed and many more have been inundated. It just breaks your heart to see what people have worked for to be gone so completely and so quickly.
    I just heard some of the shelters have filled. That never happened before. People just have no where to go.
    I have begun to clean up. We can get to the main road now. Two decades of taming a .5 mile long drive with three creek crossing has been horribly set back. But with a tempered view, we are blessed to have only drive way damage.
    The worst is yet to come for many people as the Cumberland River continues to reject the water heading its way. Some rivers will not crest for at least 24hrs.
    Take care,
    Steve

5. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Steve,
    Glad to hear you got off relatively easy - I think you have the right attitude -'Could be worse'. We hadn't heard about the flooding there until I read it here, as we were camping Thursday-Monday in SW Wisconsin. I hope everything works out well for you.

6. Steve & Ellen

Steve & Ellen Novice

Thanks,
    Things are still getting worse. The rivers have yet to crest. Lots of crazy damage going on.
    Areas that were never in the flood plan are under water.
    Things should recede in the next few days. Lots of bugs, mold and nasty, nasty clean up. We are on a 7:00 to 7:00 curfew.
    Some of my friends have lost their homes. The swift water rescues have topped 1000.
    16"+ of rain in 2 days... That seems like enough...

7. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

That's just unbelievable! I've been reading the accounts and have seen some videos, what a devastating thing to experience. Our thoughts are with you all.

8. Kent Kanipe

Kent Kanipe Novice

The stories on the news keep getting worse so I imagine your blessing count keeps rising. We'll hold a positive thought for you and yours.

Kent

9. Steve & Ellen

Steve & Ellen Novice

Thanks, I just talked to a friend. He lost his business. He has three outlets and one is destroyed. We are months and months away from normalcy. It just want go away. If you go online to the Tennessean..our local newspaper, the pictures are just breath taking. The Opryland Hotel may be closed til Christmas. My company has survived and will likely profit as our control systems in the larger buildings are replaced. Some calls have begun to come in.
    We will survive. Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers.