The Road to Nova Scotia...

Discussion in 'Long Haul' started by Ken & Peggy, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

20180712_153631-01.jpeg 20180712_201729.jpg 20180713_061544-01.jpeg 20180713_132040-01.jpeg 20180713_183606-01.jpeg We've been on the road 4 days, and are currently in Fundy NP in New Brunswick, a beautiful area. Weather's been great, and the people friendly. Here's a few of the things we've seen so far.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  2. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Thanks for the pictures. We went to Newfound land about 30 years ago with a tent and our little Tercel Toyota we loved the whole trip. Hope to go again soon with our teardrop. Enjoy!

Ken & Peggy likes this.
  3. Ken & Peggy

Thanks Pat. We arrived in Newfoundland yesterday and already added days to our allotted time here. A gorgeous place!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  4. Ken & Peggy

20180718_151949-02.jpeg 20180717_212028-01.jpeg
    A couple from Newfoundland so far.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    Tour 931 and Jenn like this.
  5. NH Wanderlust

NH Wanderlust Junior Ranger Donating Member

Ken
    What do you use as a bike rack. Looks like it's an add on the the receiver hitch.

6. Ben

Ben Ranger Donating Member

Did you make reservations beforehand or are you able to find spots ok just rolling in to the different campgrounds?

7. Ken & Peggy

We are just showing up and finding spots as we go. Working so far...

8. Ken & Peggy

It's a Yakima Double Down rack. The receiver is from Harbor Freight - it accepts any 2" rack.

9. Ken & Peggy

Had a near disaster today while heading south out of St Anthony, NL. The Yakima rack failed - a metal rod just sheared off. The rack then fell back onto the teardrop propane area, damaging the Alcan cover (have not looked to see if the camper skin below it was pierced). If the camper was not being towed, the bikes would have hit the pavement and been demolished, maybe bouncing and hitting a vehicle behind us, causing an accident.
    As there was no shoulder we turned off the highway when we could and parked in the first available spot we found.
    There was no way to keep the rack from tilting into it's down position. I was thinking we'd have to strap both bikes on the pickup bed to continue.
    Then the woman whose house we were in front of asked if we had a problem. When she heard, she said c'mon in, my husband is a mechanic and having lunch. Eat with us and we'll get it figured out.
    Long story short, the incredible help we received from these total strangers let us avoid a terrible outcome and continue our trip with only a 2 hour pause. And we gained 2 new friends in the process. People are amazing.
    And when you think about the set of circumstances that put us in front of their house, it just makes me smile.

I will be having a conversation with the good folks at Yakima when we get back to Chicago...

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    Jenn, Ben, Gypsy and 3 others like this.
  10. Ken & Peggy

More from beautiful Newfoundland... 20180719_165551-01.jpeg 20180720_124916-01.jpeg 20180722_101237-01.jpeg 20180724_053750-01.jpeg 20180724_142502-03.jpeg 20180725_204202-02.jpeg

11. mariusz

mariusz Junior Ranger

Lovely pictures....

12. Ken & Peggy

Thanks, it's a gorgeous place to see, and the people couldn't be nicer.

mariusz likes this.
  13. Ken & Peggy

Fun with our new friends at the Newfoundland visitor center at Port aux Basques...
    20180726_161238-02.jpeg

Tour 931 likes this.
  14. I know someone who an issue with a Yakima rack failing while he was on the interstate which destroyed an expensive bike. Not sure they resolved it.

15. Ken & Peggy

Well, I'm going to give it my best shot once we get back home. I'd love to know what feature failed on your friends rack - maybe it'll help MY case
    I'm looking at new racks that hold the bikes up vs having them hang. If that type of rack can fit my 'between the car & trailer' set up I think I'll go that route.
    I'll post the Yakima outcome here when I know.

16. Ben

Ben Ranger Donating Member

Are you all also exploring Nova Scotia this trip? I'm thinking about a 2 week trip next summer around the area. Just at the earliest stages of planning at this point.

17. Ken & Peggy

We were planning on more time in Nova Scotia on the return, but family stuff in Chicago has us heading home a few days earlier than planned.
    Maybe another trip...

18. I have at Thule Tray Rack. Before I had Yakima where he bikes would hang down. After I nearly lost a wheel and hearing other cyclist and their stories of losing a wheel with one like that I decided to change. My Yakima was getting pretty old and someday I hope to have a Mountain Bike and they tray type is easier with them. Not sure how a tray one would work with your set up. I got mine at REI, the Thule was cheaper and they told me at REI they don't get them returned and occasionally they do with the Yakimas. With my Thule, the bikes are pretty much at the level of the hitch, maybe a little higher, so I am guessing you need to that to above the propane tank on the front of the camper.

Ken & Peggy likes this.
  19. Ken & Peggy

Thanks for that - I'll be doing some comparisons shortly after we get home on Thursday. Thule will definitely get a good look.

20. Ken & Peggy

Total miles for the Great Maritimes adventure... 20180802_152212-02.jpeg

NH Wanderlust likes this.