The 'creep'...need advice!

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by Mick'nSarah, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

[​IMG]

In the picture above, you can see the water, slowly creeping (that's what I call it at least) across the front of the galley area. It is draining down the small gutters on the sides from the roof during a rain storm, and across the ledge there. This is from this morning. I have a terrible time cooking and trying to keep the front of my pants dry (it seems I tend to lean up against the back of the trailer while I am cooking, which leads to embarrassing and uncomfortable trousers).

Does anyone have a secret on how to keep that water from going across the front of the galley there, while the hatch is open?

The best solution I came up with, was closing the hatch and finding a restaurant. Camping in dry weather doesn't seem to be an option for us up here...need to go further afield for that.

I would love to hear what others have done.

Thanks!

2. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

Sarah we put a canopy up over the back half of the Camp Inn and it makes the rain water go to the front.Steve :)

3. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

Sarah,

I experienced the same during a rain event. Didn't question the water paths, thought the tear was designed that way on purpose.

Options: bigger screen tent to cover tear, add bumber pads to your clothing so you can stay dry. Wear plastic apron when cooking to keep clothes clean and dry, let someone else cook.

4. Mick'nSarah

Anna and Steve, I had the REI alcove up, but we have also seen this with the Northern Breeze. Your roof on the 550 is a little more sloped to the front, than our flat roof too, so that might help the water fall away the other direction. Not sure. Thanks though!

Jean, thanks. Hoping someone might know of a way to get it to drain down, instead of across, but those are options! I especially like your last one! :)

5. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

Sarah,

When I had a leak in my ceiling, it was recommended that I put string in the pathway of the water so that I could get it to wick into a container until they could fix it.

I wonder if you got a length of cotton rope with a diameter approximately the same size as the gutter and inserted/taped in the gutter, if you couldn't get the water to wick down to the ground instead of across the back of the galley. As extra insurance you could place a towel next to the gutter to absorb the water.

6. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

I may be way out in left field on this, so If I am let me know and I will remove this post.
    My short experience with a rain drop, we experienced some heavy rain, and I didn't experience what you are seeeing.
    I think the difference was side to side the unit was pretty much dead on level. (I am a stickler for level, a habit). Front to back, I had it a tad high tongue end, (enough that the bubble touched the centering line). the reason for this is I have to sleep with my feet at a lower level than my head ( seriously). What this does, it put a tilt on the edge that the water travels on and it runs off as it comes down.

7. Mick'nSarah

George, good thought. With leveling, I get it as close to center, and I am such a 'set it and forget it' kind of girl. I have a fear of changing angles and forgetting to change it back before bed, but this is something I should try. Water likes gravity!

8. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Several points already made, so I will just make a few comments.

1) A canopy (not smaller than a 10x10 EZup) placed over the tear just in front of the front curve, will stop this from happening as well as give you room to work under it in the galley. Larger canopies & tents (12x12 & up) can entirely cover the tear & the kitchen/dining area.

2) As mentioned, a side to side level tear will help with keeping this from happening HOWEVER, the intensity of the rain will also be a factor. And, yes, having the tongue slightly higher will also help, as long as the tear is level side to side.

3) If it gets to be a problem, I just use a small folded microfiber cloth at the bottom of each groove. They absorb well, stop any water flowing across & are easily rung out when needed.

4) Sometimes, when it is raining really hard, I will put the wash basin under one side & the rinse basin under the other to catch most of the water. Then I can dump it as it fills & not have saturated ground in either spot.

5) The reason that part is "stepped down" from the counter top is to keep water from running onto the counter top.

:cool:

9. Mick'nSarah

We were level from side to side. The site was surprising flat. It was coming across on both sides.

We had a similar issue when we had most of the trailer under the NB once too, but that was before I put my levels in, so who knows if the tongue was higher or lower, and that rain was torrential.

This weekend we had strong showers, in spurts, and it was always around meal prep time. Mother Nature was killing me with that! She knows I like dry pants...I told her!

I will give all this stuff a try. I suppose if this is the worst of my problems though, I am one lucky girl! I had a nice, dry, cozy place to sleep, and didn't have to worry all night! Lucky girl indeed.