Texas Tablesaw?

Discussion in 'Custom Additions' started by Les Izmore, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

Hi All!

We have been contemplating for some time now how to mount an ARB or similar awning to our van, and think we MAY have finally figured it out. If so, we may be in need of a table saw, and were wondering if anyone in Texas could help us out? Here is a map of our planned route through Texas - we are hoping that some willing person might not be too far of our route:

2016 Tagteam Cycling Route (Fall)

2. Brian & Lucy

Brian & Lucy Novice

Have you considered Home Depot? If you go at a time that isn't busy and explain what you're trying to do, I've had good success having them do things they wouldn't normally do.

3. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

I might try that. What I am contemplating may be a little more than they would be willing to do, but it is worth a try. Thanks!

4. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

Not much luck at Home Depot. They only do straight cuts, but at least it is now cut to the right length.

I need to cut a shallow angle down the length of a 6' 2x2, and ideally cut 45 degree angles on both ends. Here is a link to our planned route across Texas, in case anyone is close enough to help out on a fairly simple project:
    2016 Tagteam Cycling Route (Fall)

I suspect I can probably drive into the Rockler store in Houston to get some help, and will keep my eye open for any custom woodworking or cabinetry shops along our route. With the right tools, this is 5 minutes worth of work.

5. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

I decided I was spending too much time trying to get this accomplished. I spent some quality time this morning with a 3/4" chisel and my hatchet. I think I've got the 2x2 modified so that it will be reasonably level once it is lag bolted to the roof of our van.

Here is a link to the ARB awning that we have ordered:
    https://www.amazon.com/ARB-4x4-Acce...=UTF8&qid=1473542025&sr=8-1&keywords=arb4402a

It's lightweight, won't take up storage space inside our tow vehicle, is more opaque and waterproof than REI's Alcover and supposedly can be set up in less than 30 seconds. It is also possible to store it for short periods when wet, though it is best to let it dry before putting it away. We saw one of these at Tomoka State Park last year. They are highly adjustable and are great at shedding rain, since you can vary the height of the poles, allowing you to direct runoff to wherever it makes the most sense.

They come in three sizes. We've opted for the 6 1/2' x 8' version.

Tom & Diana P and birder526 like this.
  6. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

Can't wait to see the pics. ARB makes quality stuff.

Tom & Diana P likes this.
  7. Tom & Diana P

Tom & Diana P Novice

Thanks for the link to the ARB awning, INN42. I've been looking at a variety of ways to create shade that could be mounted on the truck or on the 560 once we get it. This one bears further investigation, as it's promising for being able to switch it back and forth if need be.

8. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

I doubt the ARB would work well on the 560, though the shortest version might (you would want to make certain that it won't interfere with opening the galley hatch). Unless you have Cary create some custom mounts for you, the standard method of installation would be a basket mounted on a Yakima rack. The ARB would bolt to the side of the basket. That gets into some money, and it creates a lot of unnecessary drag. Most vehicles would see a noticeable drop in fuel economy with such a setup. But the rack option might get the awning up high enough that it would give you sufficient headroom under it. If it were mounted directly on the roof a lot of folks would be stooping down to get under it.

Mounting it on the tow vehicle will give us the option of unhitching and orienting the van and awning where there is either sufficient room (rarely a problem in the desert) or it makes the most sense for the circumstances.

9. Tom & Diana P

Tom & Diana P Novice

Ah, thanks for the advice! Makes perfect sense to me. For the galley we have a Bass Pro Shop version of an easy-up shelter that requires some space in the tow vehicle and may get used only for stops of 3 or more days. I think before I spring for the ARB I'll work on perfecting my tarp hanging skills. :)

Diana

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  10. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

We did fine with an REI Alcove for a few years, using it a fair amount in the arid inter-mountain west, but not so much elsewhere. But the next 3 months or so will be experiencing lots of sun and not many trees, so we need something more than our cheap beach umbrellas. The interior of the van is pretty well maxed out, unless we want to have to start shuffinge things around to get at what we need. Right now we don't have to do that and we want to keep it that way. Plus the ARB is more waterproof than the REI Alcove, so it will allow us to enjoy more time outside when it isn't raining too hard and there isn't a nearby town for entertainment.