TV/DVD Television

Discussion in 'Camp-Inn Options & Accessories' started by nwhiker, May 12, 2012.

1. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

Why can't a person just buy a flat screen tv (ac) use a converter rather than the dc option. It would seem to me that it would be a lot easier to replace and less expensive if it ever went bad I would have to go to a rv dealer. Since small flat screens are under $200.00 Would this not be a good option and then use a car dvd player? Anyone done this. I am new to forumn and in the process of ordering my 550. Thank you

2. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

That seems like it would work fine. Would you then only be able to use it with a 110v electrical hookup - or am I mistaken?

3. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

I would guess that by the time you purchase and custom install a 120v TV, converter and car DVD player, you will have spent more than the cost of the TV/DVD. Also, the individual components will take up more room, and the finished installation won't be as elegantly integrated into the trailer. (This is coming from the guy with more custom gear installed in my trailer that most).

I think the best alternative (if you want one) to the built in TV is an iPad.

4. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

Thanks Ken and Evan. Ken I was thinking of using a inverter to convert dc to ac as a small tv would not use much power.

My main concern with the dc tv is I don't know anything about the manufacturer if they are of good quality compared to the selection you can get in todays market. With it all built into one unit if any part goes you have to replace the whole unit. With costs being similar I am still not shure what way to go. Thanks for all your replies.

5. ghaynes

ghaynes Novice

Dave you might ask Cary about the reliability but I don't think I have ever seen a posting here on the forum of anyone having an issue with the TV.

6. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

It's pretty much a given that any part that Camp-Inn puts into a trailer is going to be the best possible that they can use. Hence, mostly marine grade products, and not many - if any at all - RV parts. Also, what you pay for with the TV is the inlay into the cabinet - not just the TV. If the TV died the cost to replace would probably be less than the initial option cost.

7. Steve & Ellen

Steve & Ellen Novice

Funny you mention TV problems. I have just gone thru some real headaches with mine.....Thanks to Cary for all his help.
    During my travails, I surfed for all the 12vdc TVs I could find. There was a direct replacement for $199. This was the lowest. The rest were from $225 to $325. Cary mentioned they could make a new metal bracket if necessary to fit the newer sets. Either way I was able to replace a blown pico fuse on the board and got everything back up to speed. I liked the idea the manufacturer was ready to make the latest TV sets to fit my camper...He was even ready to make a new wood front if necessary. One thing I do not like, as RV campers age....some people don't want to care of them. With Camp-Inn you can keep yours as good as you want. They like your camper as much you do.
    Steve

8. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

There is a little known division of Camp-Inn, known as CISS (pronounced KISS) - Camp-Inn Social Services...if we find you are neglecting, abusing or otherwise not being nice to your teardrop, we remove it & put it in foster care until you either clean up your act or we put it up for adoption. :eek:

You have been forewarned! :eek:

Have a nice weekend!

:cool:

9. Trippster

Trippster Novice

CISS!
    That is hilarious Betsey!

10. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

Betsey,
    Put me on the list of foster homes. :)

11. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Dave,

There are a number of reasons for this. First, the TVs with built in DVD players are more expensive than you think whether they are AC or DC. There would be no cost advantage to AC TVs, especially after buying an inverter.

Second, inverters are never a good idea. They are lucky to be 75% efficient (killing the batter run time), add weight, take up space and throw a whole bunch of heat in the cabin when watching TV.

I do see your point on the brands. In fairness though, all the TVs you are referring to are made in the same factories in China as the brands we put in, really all the same TVs. We do make a point of making the TVs so they can be interchanged with other TVs in they need changing in the field years later.

We are currently working on a new, higher end TV option for the trailer. This one will use a Jensen marine unit. For the reasons you stated this is a nice touch because Jensen does not change this design for many many years. Because their customers are boat builder's typically and are super concerned about the TVs changing during production. Just like we are. The standard TV option will still be the RV dc tv we use now.

Cary