Table Rock

Discussion in 'Adventures & Excursions' started by Warren Mary Ellen, Jun 17, 2021.

1. Somehow we got a week of low humidity here in SC in June. Three night getaway to Table Rock State Park at the base of the SC mountains was really nice due to that. Normally, I expect to use the AC to sleep this time of year, but we made it without it this week. Our neighbors were another Camp Inn that we’ve camped with before. Good food, several bottles of wine & a few beers plus good company helped make the week a good one too.

We took our still pretty new kayaks out on Lake Oolenoy at the park. This gives you give you a good view of Table Rock Mountain. The lake only allows trolling motors on any boats so it is mostly kayaks or canoes. A lot of nice coves & you can get pretty far up the creeks that feed the lake. You are greeted by 2 mallard ducks who fly in to see if you’ll feed them. Hoping to see the Rhododendron blooming but next week or so before that happens.

Mostly hung at the campsite & read. One day there was an epic battle between the squirrels with some sometimes 5 & 6 of them chasing each other. We did ride up to the new observation tower at Sassafras Mountain which is SC’s tallest for the stunning views.

We’ve done day trips but this was our camping trip here and we definitely be back.

View attachment upload_2021-6-17_15-25-20.jpeg
    Lake Oolenoy at Table Rock State Park

View attachment upload_2021-6-17_15-35-44.jpeg

View attachment upload_2021-6-17_15-26-7.jpeg

View attachment upload_2021-6-17_15-26-45.jpeg
    Mary Ellen in Carrick Creek as it feeds Lake Oolenoy.
    View attachment upload_2021-6-17_15-28-14.jpeg
    View from Sassafras Mountain.
    View attachment upload_2021-6-17_15-29-11.jpeg
    Looking towards NC.
    View attachment upload_2021-6-17_15-30-12.jpeg

Observation tower at Sassafras Mountain. An easy Half mile walk & it is handicap accessible too.

View attachment upload_2021-6-17_15-31-17.jpeg
    Site 96 at Table Rock State Park in the White Oak Campground.
    View attachment upload_2021-6-17_15-32-8.jpeg

View attachment upload_2021-6-17_15-32-51.jpeg

2. Jdmac_lb

Jdmac_lb Novice

Looks very nice there and it really makes want to be out somewhere soon. Thanks for sharing your photos.

3. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I don't know what people have agains flatlands...

:) looks like a gorgious place! I need to add a lot more of that Appalachians to my list of travels -- I like higher elevations anyway, the cooler temperatures make for great days....your photos have inspired me!

Attached Files:

Warren Mary Ellen likes this.
  4. Next trip will definitely be into the mountains for some cooler temps. That was the last of nice temps with low humidity here until mid Sept here.

5. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Our favorite place for a retreat from summer heat has typically been heading up to northern Michigan --- Mackinac is beautiful in August -- when the temps are in the 90's here (indiana) they are in the low 80's there. I'm guessing this is close to the same line of parallel -- and some place we may need to add as a destination on our next trip out west...

I've yet to spent any significant time in Minnesota. Enough to say I've been there...couple nights. But I hope to spend more :) If you could just do something about the twin cities....

Maybe next summer....I won't have my CI until October....I can't wait!!!

6. The UP of Michigan is nice. We rented a cabin in Au Train before we had our Camp Inn. Had planned on heading their last summer before the Pandemic. Won’t be going far from this summer, so next summer it is a possibility. Minnesota I’ve been in long enough to drive from the SD border to the WI border.

7. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

The UP has been outside of our stays. maybe next summer as we will be far better prepared for it.

We found ourselves at Mill Creek, just outside of mackinaw and loving it. It’s a private campground, but if you get close to the water and showers it was amazing. The class A pull through are for sardines, but the small sites are amazing. The non electrics also look wonderful IF you can live without hookups of any kind. Of course up there the temps are extremely moderate, even during the hot months….

I’m liking the idea more and more of being far away from people. Not from any perverse fear, but just that most people are not worth being near. I’m weary of loud music and the party “you do you” atmosphere. Especially if they have a 2021 or newer campers….But, I digress….