Table extension holder

Discussion in 'Custom Additions' started by John Z, Mar 3, 2015.

1. John Z

John Z Newbie

Here are some pictures of a simple holder I made for the table extension for my 560 Raindrop. It holds it firmly in place and when removed, still provides clearance for the pivoting table leaf support. I used 2 wood blocks with shallow kerfs cut in, 4 screws, 6 screw eyes, and 2 small bungee cords. John Z. in PA

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. eileenpaine

eileenpaine Novice

Very Nice!

Kevin S likes this.
  3. Pick

Pick Novice

Super job! I don't have the tools/skills to make the holder but I have always had trouble storeing the extension. I had been putting it in the bins but not happy with having to dig it out. I used a couple of small ratchet type straps and two mini bungees to secure mine to the table.

Kevin S likes this.
  4. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

This is awesome. I'm on it. Wouldn't be surprised to see this as standard on future builds. Great job.

5. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

I did a similar extension holder. I made two blocks out of a 2X4, measuring 2-5/16 x 1-3/4 x 1-1/2. Four screws and a couple of velcro straps.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Larry Running

Larry Running Junior Ranger Donating Member

Very elegant, good job!

7. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

Nice work! Very professional.

8. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

My wife decided to build one!!

Thanks for the great design and good photos. She was able to build it and is very excited for it!

-Al

9. Wild Robot

Wild Robot Newbie

These look neat...I just wrap mine in a towel and bungee to the leg. LOL

10. Canoecrazy

Canoecrazy Newbie

I tried using Velcro straps to attach the table extension but it wasn’t a great option. I ended up using JB and 3 rare earth magnets attached to the underside of the table to secure the extension in transit. First, I located the spots I wanted to attach the magnets to the table. Second, I used 300 grit sandpaper to add texture to both the table bottom and the magnets. Third, I wiped away the debris. Finally a placed the magnets and let the JB weld cure overnight. The magnets are powerful enough that the extension holds in place under the table if I don’t decide to use it. NOTE: rare earth magnets are very strong so use extreme care and caution when working with them. I know these pictures are not great. Let me know if you would like additional photos.

Attached Files:

Kevin S, Randy and dustinp like this.
  11. SethB

SethB Ranger

I did something similar to what Canoecrazy posted - I used two such magnets, screwed through them and a 1/2 or 5/8” spacer block of wood right into the composite on the underside of the table.

The spacer blocks push the magnets up a half inch, allowing full contact with the inside of the “U” channel of the extension.

Kevin S and Randy like this.
  12. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

GREAT IDEA! Up 'til today, I've put a heavy kitchen rug under the fridge extending towards the back, and then wrapping the tongue of the towel around the bar. It works but its not 100% secure. (The rug also gives me something to pull on to get the fridge to a place where its easy to wrestle.

I don't know why I didnt' think of this --- off to buy some rare earth magnets :) Excellent suggestion!

13. Canoecrazy

Canoecrazy Newbie

I hope it works out for you! So far so good for me.