Update Stella Hits The Road

Discussion in 'Announcements & Build Journals' started by jimtiffany, Feb 6, 2014.

1. jimtiffany

jimtiffany Novice

We took delivery of our 560, which we named Stella, a little over a week ago. We are now in FL and having a wonderful time. Getting here was quite an ordeal. Yes, we were stuck in the snow and ice storm that paralyzed Atlanta. We spent 2 nights in a hotel, and as consolation we made some great new friends.

We really enjoyed meeting the crew at the Camp-Inn factory. Cary's checkout was excellent, full of important information. If you can, we recommend pickup at the factory. While in Necedah, we had an incredible experience. We stumbled upon a major bald eagle habitat just below the Petenwell Dam, a few miles out of town. Water flowing out of the dam keeps the river from freezing over, making it a perfect feeding place for the eagles. We parked near the water just below the dam and watched at least 20 to 30 bald eagles catching fish right in front of us. When they snagged one, they'd fly right over our heads to their nests. We'd call this a must-see when you are in Necedah.

The trailer was wrapped in heavy plastic to protect it from salt on the roads. We had dicey road conditions at several places on the drive south. The trailer brakes were fantastic and paid for themselves in about two minutes on an icy road. We highly recommend getting them. We unwrapped the trailer in Orlando and moved into it at Jetty Park at Cape Canaveral, a lovely park right at the beach. With a few trips to Walmart, we now have everything we need, and we've settled into relaxation and fun. Passing through Tampa we picked up two folding bicycles at Camping World. We're now at Ft. Desoto County Park, southwest of St. Petersburg, a beautiful spot with lots of biking trails, beaches and wildlife. It is easily one of the best campgrounds we've ever been in, and a wonderful place to relax into the rhythm of trailer life.

Our experience so far:

* At least on the 560, the brake option is essential safety equipment on anything other than dry roads.

* The Dometic CF35 is great. No more ice!

* The Northern Breeze shelter is very good in the rain. We rigged the awnings to cover both cabin doors in the front and made a shaded patio in the back. We only wish the side screens opened. We're getting more poles so we can use the side awnings for shade.

* The REI Alcove shelter is also very good, even in rain. It gets cozy when closed up with a table and chairs inside the wind walls, but we actually liked that.

* CGear Sand Free mats are great for the kitchen and dining area. Sand goes through them and doesn't come up.

* The air conditioner is a great de-humidifyer. With the rain and humidity in FL, occasional use keeps things from getting damp in the cabin.

* We've only used the heater a couple of times, but it works very well. As many here have said, just a few minutes takes the chill off.

* The stove works great. Each burner puts out an amazing amount of heat. I think Cary said 14,000 BTUs each. A heat diffuser (simmer ring) is a good idea for lower-temp cooking. We also brought a small toaster oven and small crock pot. Last night's meal from the crock pot was braised baby back ribs with sauerkraut, carrots, potatoes and onions, served with grain mustard and horseradish. I've never eaten so well when camping.

* Be prepared to show your trailer off a lot. It's like traveling with a really cute puppy. People are drawn to it!

We are very pleased with the quality of construction and functionality of the 560. It is so thoughtfully designed and everything works as advertised. We're confident that Stella will serve us well for many years to come.

Jim & Ani
    Stella: 560 #627

2. michaelo

michaelo Novice

Hi Jim

Susan and I had a similar experience to you, after picking up our trailer in Necedah last fall we pretty much headed straight south to Florida. I agree with you the brakes, NB and the Dometic fridge are must haves. We met a lady at Guadalupe Mountains NP with a beautifully restored 1961 Airstream. She also named her trailer Stella, Great name for a vintage trailer and a vintage looking trailer. Fun and safe travels to you.

Michael

3. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

Jim and Ani, It is great to hear about your experiences with your 560.Glad to hear everything is working well. I will be picking up in April and have been wondering if there will still be a lot of salt on the road then.
    I just decided recently to change my order and get the fridge. Ice has been such a hastle with tent camping why not take the opportunity not to have to deal with it.
    Have fun and keep us posted on your adventures.

4. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Pat,

Normally the salt is all washed off the roads by mid March. Heck, about that time those of use who ride motorcycles are already out and riding to work in the morning (like me). The way this winter is going we might be in the middle of a ice age come mid March yet. Either way though April will be fine.

Cary

5. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

Thanks Cary, That makes me happy.

6. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Nothing like a maiden voyage. This experience will stay clear and fresh for a lifetime. And you are in for a lifetime of fun.

See you went toy shopping. That's like a right of passage with CIs. Like the idea of folding bikes. Jim's sister has those and enjoys them tremendously. Also like the idea of the Dometic. Been nudging Jim about that, but he's still on the cooler and ice bit. Ice is a pain on a long haul. We shall see.

Enjoy your Stella (Do you have to tear your shirt and stand under a window yelling that name before you go camping? Just wondering...).

Camp On,

Sue

7. 1Door

1Door Novice

I sure am glad that someone else recognizes the importance of a TOASTER OVEN!!!
    You all sure did take a big chance with the weather...
    So glad you made it to Florida, however our weather isn't that great right now. BUT, it's probably better than everyone else's.

Have fun.

8. jimtiffany

jimtiffany Novice

Yes! And the crock pot was great, too!

Happy trails - Ani

9. jimtiffany

jimtiffany Novice

Sue,

We named our trailer Stella because our car's name is Luna! :D I don't know where this naming our vehicles thing came from but it doesn't feel right if she doesn't have a name.

Ani

10. Pick

Pick Novice

Congratulations on your CI. and thanks for the mention of the Cgear sand mats. That sounds like a must have item also.
    MDP
    Mike & Denita

11. harpe41044

harpe41044 Newbie

Thanks for the post about Stella! We feel your excitement!! We're in the "should we...should we not" stage and haven't actually seen and touched one. The forum has been wonderful for learning more about the product and the owners!

Our interest is the 560 Ultra and we learn something from each post! Thanks again for so much detail and happy and safe travels!

12. Ninjamini

Ninjamini Novice

Where in florida are you? We're in Fort Lauderdale. Want to show Stella off? We already saw a 560 a year ago but would love to see another.

13. jimtiffany

jimtiffany Novice

We are back in NM now, heading to Seattle soon. We'll be back to FL next winter, mid-Jan thru Mar. If we are near you, we'll let you know. Maybe we can get together.

14. Ninjamini

Ninjamini Novice

Sounds good. By then I should be a campinnef too. Safe travels