TX State Park Some of our favorites

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by Steve & Peggy, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Steve & Peggy

Steve & Peggy Newbie

We have done a fair amount of camping in TX, and thought I would share a few of my favorite parks with you.

So, if you are ever looking for a good spot in TX here are a few I can recommend. We've camped at each of these several times. More info at the TX State Park website: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/

Inks Lake State Park - the kids favorite park. Good hiking & fishing, good day-trip options nearby, beautiful place in the TX Hill Country.

Pedernales Falls State Park - another TX Hill Country favorite. Fun river activities and hiking, near LBJ Ranch/National Park. Visit Enchanted Rock and Longhorn Caverns nearby also.

Garner State Park - one of the oldest and one of the most popular parks in TX. Fun place in the summer.

Brazos Bend State Park - if you are a bird-watcher and alligator lover, this is the place to go. Near Houston, but feels like you are far out in the swamp. Lots of gators, excellent hiking/biking trails. We had a blast here last year.

Big Bend Ranch State Park (and Big Bend National Park)- the state park is very new, so still largely undeveloped, and it is the biggest state park in TX. We haven't camped at the State park yet, but have visited while staying at Big Bend National park. Both parks have unbelievable scenery, desert/mountain terrain, excellent biking, off-road jeep and horseback tours, river rafting, etc. It is extremely rugged and remote, but well worth the trip if you can make it out to Big Bend. One of the coolest places I have ever been, and I can't wait to go back!

Hope this is helpful, and Happy Travels!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
    LisaNKevin and SallyCamper like this.
  2. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

Hey Tex!
    Just found this post and see you're in Austin - we're at Canyon Lake!

If you've never been to Goliad State Park it's pretty cool as well. We've been to Inks Lake just recently (first time in over 40 yrs. for me), Pedernales State Park was a regular for us with the kids years ago. The reviews I hear on Garner State Park aren't good - lots of noise and partying from what I hear. You had any experience with that?

Also, could you tell me anything about McKinney Falls State Park in Austin? It sounds nice but have never been there and would like to ck. it out this summer.

There's a lady down the road from me according to Cary that has a 550 - wouldn't it be neat to have a mini gathering? Maybe we could get a Texas group together!

3. SallyCamper

SallyCamper Newbie

Hey, guys! I heard that Garner State Park is still open despite the pandemic, but there are restrictions on the number of visitors. Do you know how many people can visit it in a day?