Solo Fire Pit

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Van_and_Terri, Mar 11, 2023.

1. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

My employees bought me a Solo Fire Pit as a going away gift. It burns virtually smoke free and puts out a good amount of heat. It does burn wood more rapidly than using a traditional fire pit at a State Park. Overall, we’re very happy with it.

Attached Files:

dustinp and Kevin like this.
  2. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

The heat deflector is installed in this photo.

3. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

Attached Files:

4. dougbee

dougbee Novice

Yes love the solo. Heat deflector is nice in the winter for sure.

5. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I love mine --- in fact, I own 3 :D A bonfire for my back yard (which used to fit in the under body bay in my Class A bounder) and then I had to have the smaller model for the teardrop. It does burn wood faster, but the smoke free nature and the absolute complete burn leaving on dust behind makes cleaning up so much eaiser.

I also bought the 'lid' --- There is nothing grosser than a sloppy wet ashtray. This covers fitsnicely keeping it dry. It is not intended to snuff the coals...don't put it on when hot. But happy I got it.

I want a deflector --- my only complaint is that the stove throws a lot of heat straight up....

dustinp likes this.
  6. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

I just placed an order for the essential bundle Ranger Model and cover as well to go with the Solo 2.0 I received last week. I’m going to get in trouble now!

Kevin likes this.
  7. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

I’m looking at one of those table top models as a possible small outdoor heater. Anybody have any thoughts about that compared to a Mr heater buddy? I can see some pros and cons going either way.

Kevin likes this.
  8. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

I'm really only interested in using it to maintain some heat outside before retiring for the evening. Traveling by myself, I really can't deal with the time and effort to maintain a nice big campfire for one.

I bit the bullet and ordered a Mesa XL today. https://www.solostove.com/en-us/p/mesa

Being a contained fire it should be OK to set up at the 560 unless severe fire restrictions are in place. I like the fact that due to it's size you can have a nice fire for up to an hour, or continue the fire by adding more fuel. Much easier to use within a smaller time window than the roaring campfires.

Oh, and it burns much like a larger fire from an aesthetic perspective. So you can watch the fire flicker and get a little heat while winding down from the day.

dustinp, Kevin and Van_and_Terri like this.
  9. Steve Sanford

Steve Sanford Novice

My biggest issue with a smaller stove is you cannot bring firewood to most campgrounds and the wood for sale is too large to fit in the stove. I have a bioLight fire pit and many times I have to cut the wood to fit.

10. Lipster

Lipster Junior Ranger

Ditto on wood sold in many campgrounds.

Kevin likes this.
  11. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I have a ranger, and it's about the right size for me. Campground logs usually are sized to be close enough to work, as long as they are split down small enough, and they have almost always have been. I have had pieces that were just a few inches too long, and they just hang over the top., then burn down and fall into the pit with little or no fanfare.

Kevin and Van_and_Terri like this.
  12. dougbee

dougbee Novice

Yes a ranger would be a good size to travel with. At home I have a bonfire and plan on getting a ranger for camping. The bonfire would take up a lot of space.

Van_and_Terri likes this.
  13. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Thats exactly what I did. My bonfire is the version 1, the ranger is version 2 --- the version 2 is very much better. THe ability to remove the bottom to clean out area under the firepit.

The lids are also nice. They aren't intended as snuffers so you can't put out a coal bed if it starts raining...but they will keep rain out of the pit itself if you plan ahead accordingly.

My only dislikes are 2:
    • Price - they are a luxury item
    • Heat - most if it goes 'up' -- I wish it thew more sideways.
    I'm sure the heat problem is aided by the deflector, but that's 1 more thing to carry and I just do not have the space for it, nor do I want the inconvenient way of loading firewood into it if installed

This may have just inspired me to light it tonight...I need some outside quiet time.

dougbee likes this.
  14. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

My Ranger 2.0 came in yesterday. Package deal with riser to elevate, lid, top cover, and carrying bag for less than $300. We will keep the Solo 2.0 for the house.

Kevin likes this.
  15. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

I want to see some video of you guys firing those babies up. My little Mesa XL doesn't ship until next week. I'm working on trying a few different wood sources.

Kevin likes this.
  16. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

Attached Files:

JohnC likes this.
  17. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

Heat Deflector in this one.

Attached Files:

JohnC likes this.
  18. dougbee

dougbee Novice

With a nice acquired patina. :)

Attached Files:

Kevin, JohnC and Van_and_Terri like this.
  19. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

It’s a good thing you added this one because I was gonna tell you it was way too shiny looking. lol :D

The little ones come in colors as well as stainless. I order the ash color.

20. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Did anyone else see that they came out with a "Pellet" adapter last Friday?

Makes the holes in the bottom more abundant for better airflow with smaller holes to keep the pellets inside. Pellets are not as cheap as they were, but $6 for a bag is still cheaper than campfire wood and probably more convenient.

I ordered one for my ranger on Friday -- looking forward to our first burn. I'll update everyone.