Single- Dual Stage Gas Regulators And 11" Gauge

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Steve and Karen, Jun 8, 2024.

1. I've recently been "playing" with a lot of gas stuff (auxiliary heaters, C-I stove, a vintage cooker) and some of the problems I have run into have been pressure-related. Diagnosing some of these issues might have been a little easier if I had had this on hand:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0829J6XF...trial&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWw&th=1

This is a low-pressure gauge that will measure up to 15" Water Closet. Many gas appliances operate best (or only) at 11" WC which is about 0.4 psi. It is pretty much impossible to dial in that pressure, or determine if that is what you are actually operating with, unless, respectively, you have an 11" regulator (that is working properly) and a gauge that is designed precisely for those pressures.

The Camp-Inn stove operates as a 2-stage set-up: there is an installed 20lb regulator at the tank, which reduces tank pressure from greater than 100psi, to 20psi in the gas hoses that run under and through the trailer. You do get 20 psi coming off the side port, as I have confirmed this with another gauge that has a range of 0-30 psi.

But there is another, final 11" WC regulator hidden in the guts of the trailer to supply the pull-out stove. I put the gauge on the stove hose to check:

View attachment upload_2024-6-8_9-0-52.jpeg

I then checked my residential natural gas pressure at the BBQ and found it to be bang on 7" WC, which is standard. I was surprised as my supply line to the BBQ is only 3/8" copper and thought it might be reduced somewhat.

However, when I checked my brand new separate single-stage regulator (that is purported to deliver 11" WC) and propane hose that attaches to a 20lb tank, I found that it was off the charts.

Further research determined that single-stage regulators which are designed to reduce +100psi tank pressure to an accurate 0.4 psi are difficult to design cheaply. Hence the existence of less-expensive 2-stage regulators, which step down the pressures in stages and are much more reliable. I have one of these now coming for my other gas appliances that operate directly off a tank and require 11" as the final pressure:

View attachment upload_2024-6-8_9-2-59.jpeg

Since my 11" single-stage regulator was such a dangerous dud, I was curious about the longevity and long-term reliability of regulators in general. Weber advocates switching out after 5 years:

https://contact-emea.weber.com/hc/e...-and-when-do-I-replace-the-hose-and-regulator

... which seems a little too frequent for my books. Other sources state variously 10-25 years. Either way, regulators do go bad, in time. Having this little gauge could save you an unnecessary regulator/hose replacement or help diagnose an issue, and determine if it is your appliance or the regulator that is giving you fits. You'll need to add the necessary quick-connects or flare fitting to mate up with your supply line(s) since the gauge comes with just a 1/4" NPT fitting:

View attachment upload_2024-6-8_9-4-33.jpeg

2. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Hugely helpful!