Side Tent Side Tent

Discussion in 'Camp-Inn Options & Accessories' started by Ken & Peggy, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

I actually the side tent up in our driveway, so I used a couple of bricks inside the tent to hold it down instead of the supplied stakes. We actually bought it last fall, but I was a bit intimidated by the thought of the install because there are some straps that need to be adjusted, so we didn't use it. It really was quite easy to put up and adjust, and will get used on all but the shortest of trips. A GREAT addition.

The instructions were very good; it went up fairly quickly, even for the 1st install. I think we'll be using it all the time - it'll make a great spot to get dressed, and/or to store a bit of gear (or the dog). And thanks to Craig @ CampInn for the phone consult on fine tuning the install.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ken

2. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Ken, thanks for posting the photos. They will be very helpful to people wanting to learn more about it before buying.

We also purchased the side tent, and may purchase a second at some point in the future. Alas, we have only used it once because I lost the poles - need to order more. Like Ken said, make sure that Craig shows or tells you the tips and tricks to setting it up. After that, it's a piece of cake.

3. bherbig

bherbig Novice

Evan,
    When you get new poles consider the Item # IA-512285 from Cabelas. We go them because they adjust by cam action and break down into 3 pieces that will fit in the front storage area on our Raindrop. They cost about $10.00 each and can be shipped free to a store near you if there is one. They are real rugged also.
    Bruce
    P.S. get the 7 foot ones.

4. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Bruce and Evan,

Those poles from Cabelas work very well. I have a set of those sitting right here in my office. The 7 footers are a hair short. They end up all the way to maximum extension to pull the tent taught. The 8' units may work better.

We ended up changing to a different pole recently. Similar to this Cabelas pole. The same end as the cabelas one so that it can't break off like the all aluminum ones your tent originally came with. The slide lock is different on our new one and it is a two design. Made by Texsport. Mark B. turned me on to them. If anyone wants to upgrade their tent poles let me know. We just got the new ones in a couple of days ago.

Cary

5. Cary Winch

Hey all,

Craig just posted on our online store the upgrade tent pole set for the side tents. We have that all set up now.

Cary

6. Evan

Cary,

Does that mean I'll be getting the upgraded poles?
    If so, this will be the second time you've upgraded me without my consent... :) - first time was the sink.

7. Cary Winch

8. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Side Tent - don't leave home without one!

We used our side tent for the 1st time this weekend and I would recommend that everyone get one. It makes getting dressed normal again, for one thing. I'm 6' and there's plenty of head room. It also creates more space inside the teardrop (just being able to keep shoes in the tent makes a big difference in inside shelf space). The night temps got down into the mid 30's, so we put the portable heater in the tent area about 5 minutes before bed, with the CampInn door open, which warmed up the teardrop, too. It's a great addition to the trailer.

9. Evan

Re: Side Tent - don't leave home without one!

I heartily agree - even though we have only used our side tent once. (that's because I lost the poles). Now that we have our new poles it will be coming with us every time.

10. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

I'm sorry I gotta ask How do you loose your poles????

11. Evan

I think they are under a canopy of leaves on the banks of the Mississippi in the little town of Ferrysville, WI - probably all nicely packaged up in the bag. That was the only time we used the side tent on our trip home (we discovered that it wasn't practical to setup when driving from dawn till dusk).

If they aren't there then they are probably somewhere else between Wisconsin and Washington by way of New Mexico. :)
    We'd move all the gear from the bed to under the trailer at night and maybe they got missed then.

12. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Our poles are stored under the mattress just inside the door. You don't even notice they are there.

:cool:

13. Re: Side Tent - don't leave home without one!

We set up our side tent all but 4 of the 6 evenings on the trip home and it set up fairly easily. But wondering if others remember when first purchasing it, does the black lip that overhangs onto the actual CI roof need time to shape itself to the unit more? Or are we doing something wrong in how our straps are connected and holding it in place?

I just knew all the adjustments under the door, along the fender, etc...would be potential headaches but they set up fairly easily. However that whole top portion can't seem to shake what seems like buckling from being new. We did not order the rain fly and ultimately all the water came in through there and puddled in our floor.

14. ghaynes

ghaynes Novice

No they don't reshape themselves. For setup I disconnect the roof straps, walk the other side, lengthen them a bit, then hold the black clip in position and toss the plastic buckle across the roof. Do the front and back and then connect them up on the other side.

Buy the rain cap. Besides the rain protection I've found that on heavy dew mornings the top of the tent doesn't get wet if I use the the cap.

15. Re: Side Tent - don't leave home without one!

Thanks Gary—that's kinda what I figured. Just hopeful I guess. We're heading out this weekend and see what happens but will probably order the rain fly afterwards.

16. Thanks Jenn! I will check out those pics. My gut said to keep widening those straps:) We're in the minority with you in preferring not to have it if we can do without. Ill find a dry day this week to try it again before we head out.

17. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

Jenn is the side-tent-putter-upper extraordinaire. She coached me at Joshua Tree NP last year while Bob "supervised" (which is why it gets set up on MY side of the trailer.)

We usually only put it up when we're staying more than one night. Jury-rigged a small tarp by adding a couple more grommets - not pretty but did keep the roof dry; also water-proofed liberally per Jenn's advice.

18. Evan

Haven't used the side tent it two years. I'm not sure why I bought two of the...? But, we don't have dogs. Katie might track in more dirt though...

19. Maureen

Maureen Newbie

We love the side tent and won't leave home without it. The PVC frame for the floor works great. It's a great place to store your shoes and to keep wet clothes and / or umbrellas. Just purchased a small Thetford porta-potty and will be using it the the side tent on our trip to Grand Isle State Park in Vermont. We also have the rain fly.

Maureen
    560 Ultra #581

20. So much better success rate in the rain again this weekend with the side tent. Jenn—thanks for those picture references, we definitely just didn't have the roof straps wide enough and the non-fender stake was too close under the side wall. After that, we were in the clear! Thanks again for the feedback y'all.