Side Tent Poles

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by jtmiyake, Oct 1, 2017.

1. jtmiyake

jtmiyake Novice

I was getting tired of fussing with the side tent poles so I started to look at alternatives. My first search came up with telescoping poles from Cabelas. They collapse with a clamp similar to hiking poles. The are made of steel and are 4lbs each. Best advantage is they are only $13 each. The alternative was aluminum poles from REI. They are in three pieces and assembled like regular tent poles with the bottom poles slide out with a ball latch for about 1.5 ft of height adjustment. They are only 1lb each. Disadvantage is they are $35 each. As usual, I go for quality over price so I got the 8ft REI poles. Tried them out this weekend and they work great with no fuss. Plus, they still fit in the sidea tent pole bag. 20170930_120808.jpg

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    Tom & Diana P, Evan and dustinp like this.
  2. lorieandkeith

lorieandkeith Novice

Dear jtmiyake:

We love our REI 8 foot poles. Ours have stood up very well in heavy wind. I think you will like them also. It seems CampInn owners prefer quality!

Lorie

3. hiadventurer

hiadventurer Junior Ranger

If they are totally collapsed, what is the total length of the longest section? Thanks R

4. jtmiyake

jtmiyake Novice

I am guessing each section is about 28 inches. They are packed in the trailer and not easily accessible. I keep the bottom 2 poles attached to allow both poles to fit in the original side tent pole bag.

If you are referring to the shortest length when assembled, it is 78 inches

5. RShep

RShep Novice

Here is another side tent pole improvement I purchased on Amazon. The rubber end caps must be removed to allow the base of the poles to insert into the side tent floor pockets. I like them so much I bought another set for my sunscreen/rain shelter so I could lower or raise depending on wind and rain conditions.

Amazon.com : Green Elephant Telescoping Tarp Poles Set of 2 - Adjustable Aluminum Rods Tents Tarps - Awning Poles Camping, Backpacking, Hiking, MORE - Portable, Lightweight Replacement Tent Poles : Sports & Outdoors

Lane and Michael likes this.
  6. Lane and Michael

Lane and Michael Junior Ranger Donating Member

I have two sets of the Green Elephant and like them a lot. No more fussing with the rusty poles that corroded so easily, even in the dew of one night. Less expensive than those from REI.

7. RShep

RShep Novice

If you remove the rubber bases so it fits in the side tent pockets be aware that if you collapse the pole sections too vigorously the black base plug can be knocked out and misplaced. As I always inspect my campsite carefully before leaving I found that I had knocked the plug out. Old habits serving me well. Love the improvement for side tent and sunscreen. Also purchased some excellent suction cups making my sunscreen setup a snap. IMG_20180822_091247721.jpg

8. hiadventurer

hiadventurer Junior Ranger

Bought a pair of the Green Elephant poles for use with the side tent and they are amazing! Used for 18 days on our Michigan UP trip.and they performed flawlessly. Much lighter, easier to extend and collapse and no rust or residue and they are aluminium..They also collapse shorter...highly recommend.

9. Beth H

Beth H Newbie

We bought our 550 Ultra in November and it came with a side tent. However, we just opened it up (taking a trip for the Smokies) and there are no poles with it! Alas!! Would anyone be willing to tell us the dimensions/length/kind of poles the ridge pole, awning pole, and side poles are? Or have any suggestions about how to replace them?

10. My guess is the person who sold you the camper & tent forgot to hand you the pole bag. Hopefully you can contact them to see if they can get them to you. If not contact Camp Inn for help, I don’t know if they sale just the poles but they would be able to provide some guidance. I’m attaching a pic of my tent poles.

The two identical ones reach 8 ft when lengthened. They are the side poles.

The other silver pole runs across the entrance of the tent when inserted into the sleeve there. The two side poles insert to at each end. That what is what the holes are for at each end. It is 48 inches long & 1 inch in diameter.

The black pole is 70 inches long and is a fiberglass tent shock corded pole.

There should be some straps to help attach the tent & rainfly to the trailer. If you don’t have them, ask the previous owners and/or Camp Inn about them too.

In the Smokies you’ll want it if possible because rain happens a lot there. Which campground?

Attached Files:

11. Beth H

Beth H Newbie

Thanks for the pic and info! I'll see if the previous owner might have them or contact CampInn. Otherwise, I might order the Green Elephant poles RShep posted, use an old tent pole for the ridge, and maybe a piece of PVC with holes drilled in it for the awning. Fortunately, the straps were included. We're staying at Little Oak Campground in the Cherokee NF and Black Rock Mountain SP in GA. We hope to visit the Great Smoky Mountains NP while we're there.

12. We are looking at Black Rock Mountain in Ga for a trip later this summer. It’s about 1.5 hours from our house. Smokies were a big destination in our tent days. Camped all over the park, but our favorite was Balsam because of the elevation & how well run it was. Sometimes at Smokemont which our daughter liked because of the river.