Side Tent Platform

Discussion in 'Custom Additions' started by hiadventurer, May 19, 2020.

1. hiadventurer

hiadventurer Junior Ranger

While at the Campinn/Campout last Fall I noticed someone had build a Side Tent Platform for their side tent. I took a keen interest in it as I have never been happy with the different options that we have used, we have tried the PVC frame, and then switched to a rubber mat.

We started with the PVC frame, which is lightweight, allows you to setup on a hard surface where you can't put in stakes, but too light with any type of wind and lots of pieces of PVC to put together, but water still seemed to get into the floor area of the tent and nobody likes wet feet. We then went with a heavy weight rubber mat (35-40 lb), which is actual a horse stall mat we got at Farm and Fleet and I cut it down into two rectangles to fit inside the tent. This solved the issue of the side tent blowing away while on a hard surface in moderate wind, and you could still stake it down (other than when on a hard surface) for those gale force winds. However, even though we put plastic down under the tent we water still seemed to find its way in, although it was under the mat, so your feet stayed dry. The mat having solved two issues are heavy and there is two of them which need to be placed inside the tent which is somewhat of a hassle. And if they are wet you have to wipe them down before storing.

So taking the platform idea I saw at the Campinn/Campout I designed the platform you see below. It's constructed of 1/2 inch marine grade plywood. Measures unfoled 4 ft. x 5 ft and 4 ft x 2.5 ft when folded. Six inches around the edges and two center supports, I doubled the thickness. The entire project was cut from one sheet of 4 x 8 plywood. The two halves are connected with a 4 ft. piano hinge and when folded are held together with two brass window sash locks. I cut several handles around the edges for transporting it and to reduce weight. There are roughly 2000 1/2 inch holes drilled (yes by hand) throughout, that again reduces weight and will allow water to drain away from under the tent. I routered all of the edges. The platform is sealed with multiple coats of Spar Urethane. The platform weights 30 pounds. Its supports my 200 pound frame.

The platform has 6 eyebolts that I counter sank and the tent sit on top of the platform and is attached using a carabiner . There are an additional 6 larger holes around perimeter in the event I need to stake the platform down. When we set it up I place a sheet of plastic between the platform and ground.

When the platform is folded is slides into the bed of our 560, the eyebolts can be used to secure items in the camper such as cooler. We hope to field test this soon, hopefully it will meet my expectations, if not told Missy we could use it as a portable dance floor...R

Attached Files:

Kevin, Jenn, dustinp and 2 others like this.
  2. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

A fine looking piece of work! Too nice to cover up! Looking forward to your field reports.

3. Lipster

Lipster Junior Ranger

4. Lipster

Lipster Junior Ranger

I LIKE this!
    Where did you get the marine plywood? Is it just pressure treated Plywood?
    Did you use a Stainless Steel Piano Hinge?
    How many 1/2" drill bits did you do thru?

Thanks for posting this.

5. hiadventurer

Plywood came from Menards, not pressure treated as it has voids between layers where marine grade has very little if any so no place for moisture to gather. Sealed with several coats, I think 6 of spar urethane which is used in marine applications. I initially had 1900 holes but added some, never really counted but think close to 2000...two bits were used a d yes the hinge is stainless, from Menards as well as the brass locks.

6. Lipster

Lipster Junior Ranger

Do you think you will use it if parked on grass?

7. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

Nicely designed, and built! Like the way the tent sits so nicely squared up, and expanded to it's fullest dimensions. Keep us all updated on your experience as you get a season of camping with it under your belt.

8. Jim Carter

Jim Carter Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Looks good. Will you be creating a side business to sell these?

FL Carol likes this.
  9. hiadventurer

Yes plan to, will put a sheet of plastic down first. Should keep any ground moisture and any dirt/dust away from platform. If is does get a little dirty, those exposed areas pretty much are on the inside when folded..

10. hiadventurer

Nope, to time consuming...have had some spare time with the COVID thing, so that wasn't an issue. I should have kept track of hours, drilling holes, router and sanding work was time consuming..

11. gregangsten

gregangsten Junior Ranger

Another option is just to use a pair of plywood pieces as a floor in the tent, an idea I that someone else contributed here. I cut and varnished the wood to fit and store them under the mattress when traveling. We rarely bother to stake the tent, just put those in and it's adequate for most situations, especially for places that you can't drive a stake in.

12. hiadventurer

Follow-up Field Test. Went well, setup a breeze, probably cuts in half the time it take to set up side tent. We were on a bit of an incline from side to side but that didn't cause any problems. Once tent is attached to base you can slide it around to fine tune for a perfect fit. We did have a 10-12 mile wind during part of the weekend which did not effect side tent. I did stake the front down with two stakes. We did notice during our initial setup at home that the tent floor did slide about easily on the platform, so I just sprayed some anti slip on the exterior bottom of the tent and this solved the problem. The tent platform does slide easily in and out of 560 with no problems and handles worked well. Added bonus is that by attaching tow bungee straps to the platform while in the camper does allow us to strap down our lawn chairs and other gear, and the holes in the platform also make a nice holder for our solar corner lights. Had a great weekend with no rain so no info to report with respect to its performance during a rain.

Attached Files:

13. FL Carol

FL Carol Newbie

I am considering modifying a tent for my 550. What brand did you use?

Thank you,
    Carol

14. hiadventurer

We have the CampInn side tent...R

FL Carol likes this.
  15. John & Jodi

John & Jodi Novice

Would you post a photo of the underside of the platform? I want to see where/how you did your double thickness.

16. hiadventurer

I will post as soon as I get it out of my garage. Is all packed and wrapped from the past winter, may be a fee weeks yet. Basically its 1/2 inch marine grade plywood. Its double thickness around border, 3-4 inches and then down center the same...will post pictures soon..