Side Table Longer Leg Retrofit

Discussion in 'Custom Additions' started by The Short Short Trailer, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Hello Happy Campers,

If you are like me (6'5" and park the teardrop on wheel ramps for a taller kitchen) or find yourself camping on slopes, you may have wished you had longer table legs for your side tables. Until Camp-Inn comes out with a longer leg retrofit you may find this design helpful (see attached PDF with parts list and dimensioned drawings). I built two and am happy with the results, though I have yet to test them in the field. The legs can be 22.2-36.2" long in 1" increments.

View attachment upload_2020-7-30_11-41-35.png

If you have any questions about the drawings or how to make the legs please let me know.

Basic Tools Needed:
    Measuring: ruler, scribe or sharp pencil, adjustable square (for right angles and locating the center of each leg face).
    Drilling: drill press (ideal) or hand drill/driver, punch/hammer (to locate the holes for the center drill), center drill (to start the holes so they don't wander), 1/4" drill bit & 17/64" reamer (ideal) or 17/64" drill bit
    Cutting: a saw (hacksaw, jigsaw, bandsaw... whatever you've got).
    Smoothing/Deburring: flat file (you will need one that is narrower than 5/8" to fit inside the leg segments to smooth the interior burrs. I taped one to a 1/4" rod so I could reach all the holes from the inside - like loading a musket), round file (if you did not ream the holes), fine sand paper (I used 600 grit) to clean-up the exterior tube surfaces. I used a die-grinder with a 1/4" bit to complete the slot (I don't own a mill), but there are other ways you might complete that feature.
    Helpful: sharpie, acetone, compressed air, clamps, safety glasses, ear plugs, gloves, flat-head screw driver (for installing the button), small mechanic's hook and forseps for attaching the spring. Phillip's screw driver (#3) and wrench (10 mm) for removing the old leg and attatching the new leg.

Assembly Tips:
    __The smoother the inside of the aluminum tubes and the holes are, the easier it will be to adjust the leg length.
    __When attaching the new leg to the table bracket, set the spring inside the upper leg part before attaching the bolt. You won't be able to slide it in after the bolt is in.
    __The exterior of the upper sleeve is a little smaller than the original leg. So, washers (shown in drawing) will be needed to reduce the lateral movement.
    __Tighten the nylock nut on the leg bolt just until snug and then back it off just slightly so the leg does not bind in the bracket but is also not super loose and wobbly.

The feet are sold in bags of 50. So, as of the date of this post, I have 48 extra feet. Message me and I'll give you instructions on where to send a self-addressed envelope. I'll send you 1 or 2 (per your designation) for free while supplies last.

Cheers,
    --Ken

Attached Files:

AdamFWTX and Cary Winch like this.