Short haul to the U.P. of Michigan

Discussion in 'Adventures & Excursions' started by rockytopsc, Aug 23, 2012.

1. rockytopsc

rockytopsc Novice

I know there isn't an award for a short haul but this was our longest trip yet. Was a nice trip to a beautiful area of the country and we were glad we made the choice to see parts of the country we had never seen. So here's a brief summary of our trip:

8.10 We left a couple hours late since Bonnie had to have a tumor removed by the Vet, since it had unexpectedly showed up on her paw overnight. We had reservations at the Budget Host Westgate Inn which had a small campground attached to the property and stopped London, KY 298 miles towed

8.11 We left London, KY and headed to Traverse City State Park in Traverse City, MI after 649 miles towing.
    [​IMG]

8.12 We got a late start leaving the campground since we were tired and after given "tours" to about 20 people. Had to finally say the "tours" were over as we hadn't driven this far to show off the Teardrop. Toured Sleeping Bear Dunes and passed this hop farm in Empire, MI. Pretty cool never realized how they were grown.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8.13 Today was kinda overcast and we really didn't have anything planned other than the Sheryl Crow Concert at Interlochen Center for the Arts. Was a great show and venue. We spent the morning shopping downtown and having lunch at North Peak Brewing.
    [​IMG]

8.14 We left headed for the U.P. and Lake Muskallonge State Park. Our GPS sent us a different way than we were expecting but were glad we got to drive HWY 31 and see the small towns along the way before crossing the Mackinac Bridge, 206 miles towed.
    [​IMG]

8.15 We toured Seney National Wildlife Refuge, drove up to Whitefish Bay Lighthouse, and both Upper and Lower Tahquamenon Falls. I think I might know how to pronounce the falls now, haha. After viewing the falls had to check out the Brewery. For lunch we were brave enough to try a Pasty and enjoyed them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8.16 Today was rainy and very windy but we had scheduled the Pictured Rocks Cruise. Drove the dirt road from the campground toward Grand Marais. We drove around in the rain and did the best we could to see some of the scenery. Found Superior Brewing Company and had a great lunch of fried Whitefish and a couple nice drafts they were offering. Made it to Munising, MI to the cruise to find out the waves and wind were too much for the whole cruise, so we opted to take the partial cruise to Miner's Castle and take the half refund.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8.17 No rain today but plenty of wind and Lake Superior was roaring, so we headed to see the Soo Locks. Great day even though it was cold for us Southerners. Bonnie was feeling better and walking more so we wrapped up her bandage and headed for the beach.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8.18 We left for Milian, MI and the weather was very nice so we headed for a different route and drove HWY 2 along the upper part of Lake Michigan. While crossing the Mackinac we saw a Raindrop headed toward the U.P., was neat to finally see another one on the road. We got set up in KC Campground, it is a little campground under some nice mature hardwoods on the edge of a soybean and cornfield. Anytime we're close to a Hard Rock Cafe we have to go, since Angie has been to about 20 of them so after setting camp we headed back to Detroit. Oh my this was interesting as the Tigers had a game starting as we were getting there. 402 miles towed.
    [​IMG]

8.19 We left for Fort Boonsbourgh State Park in Richmond, KY. We had a nice stop at the Cabela's in Dundee, MI. 345 miles towed
    [​IMG]

8.20 We left for home, 358 miles towed.

10 nights
    2,258 towed miles
    3,130 total miles
    872 vicinty total miles

2. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Sounds like a great trip - you packed a lot of traveling into the time you had. We've been to some of the spots you mentioned, and would love to get back to that area. Thanks for the post!

3. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Now aren't you glad you tried a pasty. In my family, that is a common treat. Shame there aren't more shops around here that supply those tasty morsels.

If you haven't heard, some Jim's family is from the UP and we were up there last October. Visited several of the same places as you. Great territory and camping along the Great Lakes is a joy.

Glad you had a good time and keep sharing your journeys.

Camp On,

Sue and Jim

4. I may have seen you! My family and I rented a place in Glenn Arbor MI (the town immediately north of Empire and Sleeping Bear dunes.) We were there August 11-14. One of the days that we were headed South towards Sleeping Bear dunes on either M-22 or Hwy 109, a teardrop passed us headed North. At the time, I didn't catch whether or not it was a Camp Inn.

So glad you enjoyed Michigan: it sounds like you hit many of the top must-see high lights!

Rick

5. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

Nice pictures and story enjoy your Camp Inn. :)

6. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Great story. We too have been to many of those sites - beautiful area. I have never seen hops - good to know.

7. rockytopsc

rockytopsc Novice

Thanks for the replies! We really are glad we chose to check out Michigan.