Security - keeping your TD (and other stuff) safe

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by AlCat, Jun 26, 2012.

1. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

Looking for good ideas on how to keep your TD, and other camping stuff, safe and sound, whether at home, on the way home, or in camp.

2. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

The truth is "locks only keep an honest person honest. If the thief wants it bad enough, they're gonna get it. Just sayin....

3. Anne Jones

Anne Jones Newbie

I have a 120 lb doberman, a glock and a pump shotgun.

4. Lh303

Lh303 Novice

I work for a large electrical distributor and our yard typically carries $100 to $500,000 worth of copper. We used to get hit once a month despite cameras and alarms. We got two Dobermans, Al and Bruno put signs on the fence stating "Our Dogs Can Make it to the Fence in 2.5 Seconds, Can You? Haven't had a theft in 6 months.

5. AlCat

Although the doberman and firearm solutions are useful while the TD is home, somehow I doubt the doberman solution is gonna do me much good when I am camping, and have left my TD at the campsite while I am off on a long hike

same with the glock and the shotgun

(no offense to George, Silverstreaker, and LeoJan)

6. AlCat

Hi, Jenn. I'm actually not stressed about theft. But I thought having one thread with various security ideas would be better than trying to glean ideas from the numerous threads where they are hiding.

Where is your doberman?

:)

I think the risk of having a TD stolen IN a campground is probably close to zero. Am guessing the risk increases if you are not in a campground.

Not sure about stuff like coolers, solar panels, and the like.

(For example, does anyone lock their propane tank to their TD?)

and I do agree re the karma cloak!!

7. Lh303

Lh303 Novice

As Jenn and AlCat pointed out, the campground is different than the home front. In a lifetime of camping, including tent, rv, and now a teardrop I have never been ripped off. There is a camp ethic out there that you just don't rip off your fellow travelers. Maybe everyone knows that there is a very special place in hell reserved for those that do. I lock up the 550, put the hitch lock and wheel locks on, and enjoy the day. Should the unthinkable ever happen, I will find out how good my insurance company is. Last but not least, should you ever have the misfortune to confront a thief in the act, remember that the teardrop is a thing, albeit your baby, and can be replaced, your life can not.

8. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

I am with Jenn on this. I certainly don't have the number of nights out she does, but with my limited experience so far, getting friendly with the neighbors definitely has its benefits. Especially if they are interested in a tear drop, talk to you for a bit, and keep an eye on it for you out of sheer lust for their own. I like to believe most people are good, and will do the right thing. I am not naive enough to think there are not dishonest, baddies out there though. My camping defenses are:
    - Ball hitch lock
    - Chains get locked into the lever lock for the ball lock
    - The Claw for the wheel (I honestly believe this is really more of a deterant than anything)
    - I always feel safer with the jacks down. I am sure it is a false sense of security, but it is one more thing to slow would-be stealers.
    - I always tell her we'll be back, so she doesn't wander off

I do not lock the propane. I considered it, but haven't.
    I do put most things away unless we are group camping. I might leave one table out, and I might stow the BBQ under the trailer, but again I am probably going to be around if that stuff is out and I haven't had trouble yet.

At home we put all the locks on and make sure the doors are locked before giving her a kiss and pulling on the cover. She is stored outside, most of the time, and we have some very protective neighbors who help look after everything (we do the same for them). Yes, some are armed with weapons, others are armed with nosiness, we are armed with the most useless watchdog and 3 chickens who are worthless when it is dark (and they certainly aren't camping with us...the dog does though). We have only had trouble with cats being prowlers so far and the dog does help with that (they also like to use the cover as a giant scratching post...argh!).

We also have the protection of insurance and are working on being the best people we can be, to wrap ourselves in good karma too!

9. AlCat

ha ha - NO, you did not go overboard. Sorry if my post made you feel that way!!

I actually LIKE dobermans, and I respect the power of a dog to keep the mansion safe. A friend's family had a doberman, and she was the sweetest dog you can imagine. And smart as a frickin whip. I think if you asked that dog to bring you a beer, she'd ask whether you wanted it in a glass.

-Al

10. ghaynes

ghaynes Novice

So a quick security story from me. Previous life I was a police officer while in college. Get a call to go to a home that has been broken into. Walking up to the front door I see that the front picture window has been totally destroyed and there is what appears to be blood on the remainder of the glass. Owner comes to the door with his two pals. I'm 6'4" and his Great Danes are mid chest high to me. He invites me in, the boys take a sniff and then sit down next to the boss. The boss says he came home to the broken window. He says the boys are kept in the basement. He says let me show you the basement door. We walk around the corner. The basement door, rather stout with a good lock, has been absolutely ripped completely out of the frame. Shoot the frame has been ripped from the studs. Big hole in the opposite wall where the door tried to stop. Owner says "My boys are the most friendly guys around, at least while I am here and they see that I like you. But the #$#%# that broke in the front door while I was gone found out they aren't so friendly." On hearing the break in the boys destroyed the door, chomped on at least one perp (remains of some bluejeans in the living room), tore a chunk out and the one or two blokes dove through the front window to get away from being a meal ticket.

Moral of the story. Take good precautions, have good insurance and enjoy the trip.

Woof!

11. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Love those natural defenses. Got one that happened waaaayyyyy back in the early sixties (when I was just a child-honest).

Oakland hills (rich people territory), nice couple go down the street for their weekly card game. Halfway through the game, a neighbor calls and says he saw someone climbing in their house through a side window. Authorities called and on the way. The wife gets all excited and cries, "Baby is all alone!". They rush back to the house and get there just as the cops arrive. As the couple is explaining their baby is in the house with a burglar, they hear a terrified scream. They turn just in time to see the burglar come crashing through the picture window, followed closely by Baby: a full grown male African Lion.

True story. I actually saw Baby sitting in their station wagon (and taking up the entire back seat) in a Lucky's parking lot. This was long before a law was passed prohibiting the ownership of exotic pets. Too bad; he was one hell of a deterrent.

Camp On,

Sue

12. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but hoping you sister is safe with all the fire & evacuations in Colorado Springs.

:cool:

13. AlCat

LOL - dang hijackers!!

:)

loved the lion and dog story(ies)

now back to our regularly scheduled program....

;)

14. AlCat

I didn't grow up with a dog, so this dog's smarts surprised me. I thought only TV dogs (Lassie) could be taught to bring you the newspaper, and the like. But this dog went far beyond that and would respond to all sorts of verbal/oral commands. YOu could tell her to shut the door, and she'd go push the door closed. She didn't have cropped (?) ears, so she looked a lot more friendly than a typical Doberman.

Despite my experience with this doberman, I still have trouble believing owners who say their pit bull is friendly (even when I am sure they are telling me the truth).

15. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Dogs are great. Grew up in a house full of vagabond mutts. But getting back to the original thread of CI security, I don't know about dogs stopping thieves from hijacking your trailer. I mean, you would have to leave the dog tied up to the CI while you went out. Don't like that idea...

Oh heck, if a bad guy really, really wants your CI, he'll find a way. All you can do is get the security devices you feel comfortable with and (as was just mentioned) use more populated campsites. Extra eyes are a great deterrent.

That being said, the only time I've heard of a CI being snatched was that one in a storage space down in LA. Knock wood and...

Camp On,

Sue