SD - Black Hills recommended campgrounds?

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by eroling, Apr 21, 2012.

1. eroling

eroling Newbie

We are planning to spend 1 day in the Badlands and 3 days in the Black Hills this June. Does anyone have any recommended campgrounds that we should consider?

2. sardineman

sardineman Novice

We were there last year at the same time. The NPS campground, Cedar Pass, puts you right in the Badlands on the loop road. Given that you'll only be there 1 day, that's probably your best bet. You should have no problem getting a site during the week. Custer State Park in the Black Hills is very nice with a number of campgrounds. Most of them are advanced reservation and are already filling up. If I had my choice of one of the reserved campgrounds, it would probably be Sylvan Lake, mostly because of how pretty the lake is and access to sights and trails. One of them, Center Lake, is same day reservation. We stayed there for 6 days and loved it.

Be on the lookout for other Camp-Inn owners in the Badlands. Our first night in our teardrop in a campground, we ran into these folks. We're the ones from Maryland.

Cheers

3. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

I would also recommend Custer State Park. One of the best camping experiences we've ever had - beautiful settings, wildlife to view, trails to hike, fishing if you enjoy that - it's got everything. We've stayed at the Sylvan Lake and Grace Coolidge campgrounds and both were very nice. Have a great trip, it's a wonderful area of the country.

4. eroling

eroling Newbie

Thanks. Sylvan Lake is one we've heard a lot. We were able to book a site there for all 4 days. Cedar Pass sounds good for the Badlands - no reservations accepted so we'll try our luck! Thanks everyone.

Right now we have Custer St. Park, Rushmore, Wind Cave, Mammoth Site on our itinerary with Jewel Cave and Crazy Horse as options. We'll be doing a bunch of hiking as well. If there's anything you think we're missing, let us know!

5. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

If you get a chance go walk the walking trail at Sylvan lake. But, give your self plenty of time and bring lots of water. Don't do like I did and leave the water back at the trail head. It is a serious walk but really impressive.

The KOA at Keystone is pretty nice actually.

6. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

I think you will like Wind Cave. If the kids don't like dark, make sure you take a flashlight for them to hold. My then-3 year old found that to help. He loved every minute. Also, get there early! It gets busy!

Enjoy your trip!

7. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Speaking of the Black Hills, go to Deadwood if you can. It's a fun little wild west town and the kids would probably get a hoot out of a buffalo burger at Diamond Lill's: a great restaurant with good food, good prices and lots of memorabilia from Kevin Costner films.

And extra added treat is the ride from Deadwood to Mt. Rushmore and Custer St. Park. It's a twisty, turny road with wooden overpasses that bend back on each other in a 180. No problems with the trailer, we took that road last fall and it's beautiful. Can't remember the number of the rte right now. Have to get it from Jim when he wakes up from his nap. Poor, tired baby.

Sue

8. Mr Ed

Mr Ed Novice

Lake Sylvan
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. bcannizzo

bcannizzo Novice

My favorite near the Badlands is the Prairie Homestead.... it is off of I-90 on 240, east of the Badlands. It is not time consuming but it is a prairie homestead... dugout with wood addition, prairie dogs, etc. It looks like the people just left yesterday. I have been several times, with different friends, and I still enjoy it. I do have to say it was better before they built the big visitors center in front of it.... with many ways to spend you money. Go thru it quickly and be transported back to homesteading life.
    Enjoy the pigtail roads in the Black Hills.... Custer is great, Mammoth site incredible, and don't forget Needles Parkway.... Then not too far depending on your direction is Devils Tower and southwest is Guernsey, Wy with the Oregon Trail wagon ruts and signature rock... and Fort Laramie..... I will stop there! Oh and you will see signs for Wall Drug in Wall, SD... it's a tourist trap but it's definitely different!

10. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

We stayed just down the road from the prairie homestead at the Belvedeer KOA. Clean and friendly campsite. A little eat I'm spot. Easy access.

11. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

The best vacation of my life was int badlands....I really want to go back. I think next summer....or route 66.