Running an O Grill via LP Gas Accessory Outlet

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Randy, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

I bought an O Grill portable BBQ grill. I am hoping to use the LP Gas Outlet to run it instead of the 1 lb canisters. I am assuming that the gas coming out of the outlet is already low pressure. Since the grill also has a regulator, will that be a problem? Ideally I would like to remove the regulator on the grill and connect the LP gas hose into the grill with a quick connect. Has anyone done this, is so, what fittings will I need?

Thanks,

Randy

2. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Wait for a reply, but I "Believe"? I use it directly for a Hot Buddy Buddy or whatever it's called, heater... I use it under the kitchen table on cold mornings... I don't recall there a regulator on the hose and wouldn't think you need one as the regulator is on the front tank..

But I'm just going from memory, so wait until you get a confirmation before you try anything... don't believe it'd run free anyway so you're probably going to be fine, but???? heheh, wait for the "Knowledgeable Ones"

I don't see a reg on this one, and I'm just using the "Quick connect" Camp Inn supplies..

[​IMG]

fun... and warm... it works great..

3. Old_Prospector

Old_Prospector Junior Ranger

Randy, Having two regulators between the source and user is not a problem. A regulator reduces the pressure of fuel in the line downstream of the regulator to a set pressure. A regulator isn't designed as a flow control device, just pressure control.

If the regulator next to the source tank is set higher than the regulator at the grill then both regulator's will be working to let down (control the downstream) pressure. On the other hand if the regulator next to the source tank has a lower set pressure than the regulator at the grill, then the first regulator will do all the control, and the second will pass the fuel without changing the pressure.

I would leave regulator on the grill attached. In the propane world for tiny trailers, you really only need one regulator, because both regulators are designed for about the same set pressure. If you want to remove the one on the grill for storage compactness, then feel free to remove it. Functionally, it won't made any difference with or without the second regulator.

4. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

During orientation/pickup last Friday, Cary did not mention needing another regulator when operating a grill or other LP devices from the galley side port.

Jean

5. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Randy,

The gas outlet on the side of the trailer is high pressure. This is so the gas appliance's regulator will function correctly. While it would seem that feeding one regulator into another would function fine this is not the case. If it was a low pressure feed the appliances regulator could stop functioning quite easily being fed by low pressure leaving you with no gas flow.

Cary

6. Randy

Thanks Cary. I would like to get the appropriate fittings to be able to attch the accessory hose to the grill via a quick connect. The grill has a female fitting for one pound propane screw on propane bottles.

7. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

The hose that comes with your trailer is all you need. It has the quick connection on one end and the other is a fitting just like the male thingy on top of a small propane tank.

8. Randy

Correct, but was hoping to turn that thingy into a quick connect so that both ends of the extension hose have a male quick connect. Will need the female quick connect on the grill. Haven't been able to find the right adaptors yet but I suspect it's doable.

9. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

Check with a local propane supplier. They will have the parts.

10. fpoole

Yah like Amerigas...

Also, heads up...
    Take the connections you want to connect.
    I've never seen so many combinations of inners, outter, big thread, little threads, left hand/right hand..

I was simply trying to connect a BBQ and fire pit to one tank and man O man... back and forth, must have purchase just about every connector they had.. not cheap either..
    So save some pain & agony, if you can take all the items you want to connect in with you AND make sure you put it all together..

Obviously, the TD won't go,but you have the quick-connector to start...

Just say'n heheh fun, NOT...

11. Randy

Ya Frank, I figured that out also. Already had to return one. Went to a grill store today and they couldn't help mr. Suggested an actual propane place so heading there next. Would also be nice to have a shut off valve in line for added safety.

Randy

12. fpoole

Yep, they'll have them, just a PITA trying to find the combo.
    and check your tank valve connection, take a phone pic is probably the easiest.. just in case..

Propane dealers will have most of the stuff, or can order it..