Ron's cooler cover

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by Evan, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

I wonder if this cover on Ron's cooler is a custom built item, or something readily available?

[​IMG]

2. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

The outfit that makes PopUp "Gizmos" makes cooler covers.
    I have read of people taking the "emergency" thermal blankets and making covers with them.

3. ronolga

ronolga Newbie

I made the cooler cover using insulated duct wrap held together with metallic duct wrap tape. Both are readily available at any home improvement center. The duct wrap is highly reflective and is a great insulator. It makes the ice last almost twice as long in very hot weather. Kind of a pain in the rear to have to slide it off every time we need to get into the cooler but well worth it if you are a long way from an ice source. Olga came up with the idea to cut out a 'hinged' trap door on top that opens with the cooler door to eliminate the need to pull the whole thing off. I'll be working on that soon. Bye the way, I've also made a cover for our Coleman stainless steel 5 gallon water cooler that works just as well.

4. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Yeah, I've used the same thing for hot water for diving up here as rinse shower... really keeps it hot... too hot in fact. I filled it up at home with just hot water, drove an hour, hour getting ready, hour dive then 2 hours later still too hot and that was on a cooler, 50F days... they work for hot, so assume for cold too... good idea, although up here, we use the coolers to keep beer from freezing..heheh..

[​IMG][/URL]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  5. David Olson

David Olson Novice

Becky made a cooler cover with double bubble insulation that has aluminum foil on both sides and then put it inside a denim cover made from old blue jeans. She made a lid on the cover so we can access the cooler without having to take the cover off.

6. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Oly, a PICTURE's worth a thousand words, please ;)

7. David Olson

David Olson Novice

If I must. Haven't got to good at that yet. I will see what I can get done for Tuesday.

8. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Cooler covers! For those that are interested we finally have our official Camp-Inn cooler cover design done and in stock. Just waiting for photography to get done so we can put it on the website.

They came out awesome though.

Cary

9. David Olson

David Olson Novice

I'm sorry I just can not figure out the picture add thing. I tried Evans link but just can't get it. I thought I had done it once????

10. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

Just wanted to bring this to the top of forumn so that when Camp Inn gets the cooler cover listed as an option that we will know. Thanks Dave

11. ghaynes

ghaynes Novice

So I am attaching photos from Oly of his cooler cover. He can chime in with the materials, etc. Just my two cents but I really like the pockets!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. David Olson

David Olson Novice

Thanks for helping me out Gary,
    Becky made our cover. It is old blue jeans with a double bubble aluminized winshield sun blocker inside we got at a flee market for a couple bucks.Rather than have to take the cover off to get in the cooler Becky made it with a lid so. That way if it is in the vehicle with stuff packed around it we can still get in it. It is a wrap around with velcro to hook it together. Yes i like the pockets to, good place to put our cozies.
    The handles on the cooler fold down when not in use but also can be put through the cover to move the cooler.
    Thanks again Gary for posting my pics.

13. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

Thats very cool good job. :)

14. fdkoh99

fdkoh99 Junior Ranger

Hi Cary,

Does the CC have a flap under the cooler as well so we can lose the beach towel to slide it out from between the cabinets? That would be cool!

Happy New Year everyone.

Dave and Linda

15. Cary Winch

Dave and Linda,

It does indeed. The cooler slides down into it. It has a heavy material on the base to deal with the sliding in and out of the cooler.

Cary

16. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Oh, that's so cute. Looks like a little plumber at work...minus the fanny hanging out. So is it insulated? Give us a list of material, please. Been after Jim to get one of those.

Sue

17. David Olson

David Olson Novice

Sue, The cover is old (but clean blue jeans:D ) the insulation is a Sun shade that would normally be put in a cars windshield to block heat. The one we used was aluminized on both sides with double bubble air pocket honeycomb. Got it at a flee market for a couple bucks.
    p.s I thought her idea for the pockets was a neat touch. (minus the butt crack) :eek:

18. fdkoh99

fdkoh99 Junior Ranger

Hey Cary,

Still don't see the cooler cover up there... maybe you could just post on the thread so we can at least see your cool design.

19. Cary Winch

Waiting on Craig to put it on the website. That is the only holdup. Everyone here should get a hold of Craig and remind him that he needs to get this done.

Cary

20. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Zzzzzzzz...... Yawh, has it been posted yet???
    Maybe for Christmas??? LOL...

I'm not sure what it's for.. to keep the sun off it?

Up here, in the PNW, we use either Rain or Clouds... works most of the time.. heheh, Fun, looking forward to seeing whatever it is... Say??? Christmas??, can't sell it if we can't see it...

but bottom line is???
    Doesn't matter really, I like warm beer...
    fun...