Road Trip

Discussion in 'Adventures & Excursions' started by jtmiyake, Jan 21, 2015.

1. jtmiyake

jtmiyake Novice

On my way to meet up with my parents at Rincon campground. It is an old section of 101 that has been turned into an off grid RV campground. Sits right on the beach between Santa Barbara and Ventura.

Spent last night at Prairie Creek Redwoods campground. Nearly deserted with much of the area closed. Not much for redwoods around there eithet. Woke up this morning to frost on everything.

Today I drove down hwy 1 to Bodega Bay. The redwoods in Humbolt were amazing. It has been nearly 20 years since I had been there.

Driving the rest of the way down hwy 1 to Rincon. Hopefully not as slow as today. I will post up pictures when I get better connections.

2. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Rincon...

Used to go up there a lot. Highschool friend's dad had a beach house right there on the beach, NW side..
    first time I ever got drunk and Sick on Thunderbird wine.. or festive, forget which.. heheh, friends used to surf off the point...
    Nice place...

3. michaelo

michaelo Novice

Hi Jason
    On you're way down to Rincon stop by El Capitan and say hello, we are camped in 123. I was wondering if most of Prairie Creek was still closed, pretty big storm came through second week of December and toppled trees and raised the creek flooding a fair bit of campground. We camped there a week after the storm. I was walking the closed loop checking out the damage when I rounded a big tree and came face to face with an enormous elk buck with a huge rack of antlers, I remember the very odd feeling of looking up into his eyes (I'm a tall man so that doesn't happen often with man or beast) we both stood frozen for a moment looking at each other, I thank my lucky charms he flinched first and took off running as I turned around too and made a fast retreat. Elk look big way off in a field but nothin compares having a close encounter with one, I got week kneed for sure. Regugio and El Capitan campgrounds are wide open after MLK day if you take a notion.

[​IMG]

Michael

4. jtmiyake

jtmiyake Novice

Hey Michael, forgot to stop by and see you. I left Rincon today and now at Half Moon Bay. Rincon turned out to be not as expected. The rule is that you have to be fully self-contained. No toilet, no stay. And they were rude about it. Stayed a mile down the rode at the Ventura county park called Hobson. It was fine as I had day long views of surfers and high surf. Showers and flush toilets a bonus. Great weather all week with sun, one day of light rain, and temps nearly 80's.. Worked out fine and was able to spend time with parents and friends with no trouble.

Prairie creek was still mostly closed. Only 2 other campers there. Woke up to frost on everything. Also found out that I have a serious propane leak. Smelled it most of the night. Have not pinned it down yet. Should have before my trip back up north. May have to hit the fast lane back home.

Pictures still to come. Internet connections still slow.

5. jtmiyake

jtmiyake Novice

Michael, forgot to mention that friends I camped with said they have seen a Mini pulling a tear drop. I knew it had to be you.

6. jtmiyake

jtmiyake Novice

Camping in Redwoods:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cali Coast:
    [​IMG]

Many sunsets....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Surf:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. birder526

birder526 Novice

Beautiful!

8. michaelo

michaelo Novice

Great pictures Jason, you captured the magic of the west coast beautifully. There are other folks pulling teardrops with Minis but yes it could have been us. We are camping in our baked potato "Dizzy" this year.

[​IMG]

Michael