Replacing trailer-side 7-pin plug help...

Discussion in 'Electrical & Mechanical Issues' started by Steve & Peggy, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Steve & Peggy

Steve & Peggy Newbie

On my last trip, I got an unexpected opportunity to learn more about the wiring on the 7-pin plug for my Camp-Inn. :eek:

As I was driving to the park, I hit a small piece of wood on the road. I found out when I got to the campsite that the piece of wood had jumped up from the road and had pulled the 7-pin plug out of the tow vehicle socket. When I arrived at the campsite, I realized that I had been dragging the plug down the road, under the camper, for about 50 miles. All that was left was a shredded bunch of wires dangling from the trailer where there used to be a nice 7-pin plug. Doh!

At the end of the weekend, I was able to get back home safely, and I ordered a replacement pre-wired 7-pin plug with a 3' section of wires. I spliced the wires from the trailer to the wires from the new plug, but my lights aren't working properly.

I spliced the same colored wires together from the new plug to the trailer wires (black to black, white to white, yellow to yellow, etc...) and then tested the lights. My brake lights work, reverse doesn't work, rear lights blink when turn signal is on, but side lights do not blink. When I turn the lights "on" in the tow vehicle, the lights work on the camper, but if I hit the brakes, the lights go off... I cut the wires and re-spliced everything. The splices look good, so I don't think that is the issue, but I'm stumped.

Is there something else I'm missing on the re-wire? My only thought is that the people who installed and wired the plug on the tow vehicle may have wired it incorrectly (or differently than required for the Camp-Inn) on the vehicle side, but thought I would throw it out to the group to see if anyone has other ideas.

Thanks!

2. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

Steve, below is a link to the wire diagram for the 7 pin connector on the Camp Inn site. Just scroll down until you see the diagram. Don't know if it helps.

http://tinycamper.com/faq.htm#q3aa

Also, I don't think the side lights blink when the turn signal is turned on...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  3. ghaynes

ghaynes Novice

Could simply be that the wire colors on the new connector are not standard. Best to look at the wiring diagram from Joan and use a multimeter to make sure that the wires correspond to the correct plug position on the new connector.

4. Steve & Peggy

Steve & Peggy Newbie

Thanks Joan & Gary!

5. dhutchin

dhutchin Novice

Tex,

Please let us know when you find the cure.

I just went yesterday to get a 7-pin connector on my new tow vehicle (Toyota Tacoma). It came with a 4 pin connector and I took it in and got the 7-pin. Everything seems to work, blinkers, etc. It is charging the battery. But, I have no backup lights. We may have the same issue. Also, when I apply the brakes there's a clunking, thunking sound like a really loud blinker sound.

6. dhutchin

dhutchin Novice

Is there some kind of clip to secure the 7-pin connector so it won't come loose?

7. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

The hinged cover for the 7-pin generally has a locking tab that keeps the connector from coming loose. However, they are designed to give under tension (for example, when you unhitch but forget to unplug the connector). I'm guessing that the wood hit with enough impact to disconnect it.

8. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

our connection came loose on our first trip. it only dragged a short distance, so it still fit back into the car's connection ok. I now secure it every trip with a bungee cord, just to be sure. it came loose once since (our new tv needs an extra foot or so of cable), but stayed suspended by the bungee.