REI Alcove Shelter

Discussion in 'Photo Gallery' started by mcjimjam, Mar 25, 2011.

1. mcjimjam

mcjimjam Junior Ranger Donating Member

The newest addition to our McNugit gear inventory. We can't wait to try it out, real soon!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

Great pictures. Thank you. I think it is what I am looking for. I liked Evan's tailgator but Cary had a good point about having to take it down at night to close the hatch.

Let us know how it works in the 'real world' when you have a chance.

Did you get the side walls?

3. mcjimjam

We like the looks and efficiency of the Tailgator too, but opted for the REI Alcove because, to us, it is more versatile. We like the idea of being able to place it wherever we want in relation to our 550, and we can also use it in other situations. (i.e. as a shade shelter at the beach, or as a shade over our grandbabies kiddy pool in the backyard.)
    We will report in once we use it in the field, hopefully within the next month.
    No side walls for us, at this time.

4. mcjimjam

Very easy set up, Jenn. The frame clicks together, you stand it up, and then drape the canopy over it, fastening with velcro. Then it has to be guyed, of course. Here's a tutorial I found on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg0-WwO4tzc

It can easily be handled by one person, I read the directions aloud, while my husband assembled it in under 10 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  5. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

Nice pictures looks like a good addition. :)

6. jfocallag

Is your Camp Inn street height or SUV height?

7. mcjimjam

SUV height.

8. jfocallag

Great! Thanks

9. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

Dicks sporting goods has 6x6 easy up type canopy for $49.00 and 10x10 for $69.00 you might be interested. :)

10. jfocallag

Ok, went to REI to check things out. I decided to get the alcove since I still had my 20% off to use. Brought it home and set it up. Having watched the video helped. It took about 10 minutes. It is very easy. I took it back down in about the same amount of time.

I am debating whether to hold off on the Northern Breeze since the drive home will be mostly overnites except for two nights in Grand Teton National park. There will be three of us but I already have tent that someone can use to sleep in. My only concern is the midwest and mosquitoes. I don't think my Mom would be happy if she did not have somewhere to escape.

Oh well, plenty of time to decide. For right now, I really like the Alcove.

11. Jim 2011

Jim 2011 Novice

Can the side tent still be set up with this canopy? It may just be the camera angles but it looks as if the forward legs of the canopy would interfer with the side tent if you put the canopy far enough forward to enclose the galley hatch.
    Jim

12. jfocallag

You can set up the side tent with the Alcove. You can position the legs so that they don't interfere with the side tent. The nice thing about the Alcove is that there is quite a bit of flexibility regarding the placement of the legs.