Rei Alcove Shelter - On Sale

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Van_and_Terri, May 13, 2014.

1. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

REI is having their Anniversity Sale May 16-26 and the Alcove Shelter is on Sale for $79. Normally it's $109. I know several Camp Inn Owners like them over the galley, including us.

2. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

They also mentioned sidewalls are on sale as well!

3. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

at that price, I'd buy TWO!!

When you consider that replacing ONE plastic "hub" will cost you $20.....

We do like the Alcove over the galley, when it's raining. We have not used the side walls, yet.

But we are in Cali/the southwest, so we are spoiled vis a vis rain and bugs, and we are usually away from the campsite during the hours when you'd want shade.

4. Pick

Pick Novice

We bought the Alcove and one side wall. Have yet to set it up but was curious does anybody use TWO side walls making a tent set up?
    MDP
    Mike & Denita

5. jimtiffany

jimtiffany Novice

We use two sets of walls when we need extra privacy or in rain or heavy wind. We usually rig one set along one side and the back, then rig the other set to overlap the back and run along the opposite side. We roll one of the sides back far enough for easy entry and clip it with clothes pins. We run it all the way forward for privacy or protection as needed.

6. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

We have done the same as JimT, but only once. It was more to keep warmer while doing a few things in the galley. I leave the gap for ventilation and to go in and out easily. Works great.

7. Bechtle

Bechtle Novice

Mike & Denita

I have a commercial Caravan canopy with 4 side walls. Having said that, I've used the one wall and two wall configuration the most... several times a year. On and rare occasion, I use the 3 and 4 wall configuration....mostly privacy or rain/wind concerns. Obviously, Camping in Wal*Mart is a whole lot different than camping in Yosemite.

8. Kelly

Kelly Novice

Thank you for posting this sale announcement . . . I had pretty much given up on waiting for these canopies to go on sale. Thanks to your posting, one is now heading northbound!

9. Mac Tiger

Mac Tiger Newbie

Alcove Tip.... I just recently bought a REI Alcove and when I set it up I found it to be too low for me. I'm 6'1.

But the solution is to get 4 extendable tent poles like the type used with the side tents. All you need is the bottom sections. They fit well over the Alcove legs and you can now have a height adjustment.

10. Pick

Pick Novice

Just set up our Alcove for the first time this weekend. Very quick and easy. Took avantage of the REI sale to purchase a second wind wall. Hope this set up works for us most of the time as the NB is a little more involved to put up. However when the bugs start to get hungry I'm sure the NB will be the way to go. Ready to go camping just need a trailer!
    MDP
    Mike & Denita

11. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

If it rains you need to put (6) 36 inch bungee cords on the top to serve as rafters so to speak. If you don't, the rain will pool on the top to the extent of possibility breaking one of the plastic ends that the poles slide into. We love the optional sidewall also. Helps protect you from the elements and aids in improving privacy. We have Alan and Susan to thank for ours. They had an Alcove over their Camper at Gamble Rogers and sold us on it. They sold us on Camp Inn as well!

12. Pick

Pick Novice

Oops just bought a bunch of 24" bungee's Oh well always a use for them. Back to Amazon for the 36" ones. Thanks for the info.
    MDP
    Mike & Denita

13. I would suggest you get the ones from Home Depot if you have one - I just sent the ones from Amazon back - they were very heavy with metal hooks.

14. fdkoh99

fdkoh99 Junior Ranger

Have the side walls and use them in stormy weather - they work great with the skys open and you can even set up a small table and eat in the galley when there is bad weather. Also use them for privacy when taking a sponge bath...

Another Alcove Tip is to not only get the bungie cords for rafters to keep the rain from puddling.. get a couple more to hold the front of the canopy down to the stainless fenders... then you only need to worry about stacking the back poles and no cords around the CI doors to trip on.

Happy Travels.....

15. Pick

Pick Novice

Good tip, thanks. Bungee cords seem to be as invaluable as duct tape when camping.
    MDP
    Mike & Denita

16. mariusz

mariusz Junior Ranger

just heard on the radio REI has a sale