Tables Rear Folding Table

Discussion in 'Camp-Inn Options & Accessories' started by Les Izmore, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

A while back someone asked about whether the Rear Folding Table option was worth the trade-offs, which were mainly stated as the need to remove the stored table in order to access/store items in deep storage, and that to achieve the most efficient galley configuration requires also purchasing the Table Extension, which adds weight and complexity. And I agree, when the Table Extension is stored with the Rear Folding Table, the combined weight can be significant for some people.

Having had the RFT since we purchased our teardrop, my initial response to that earlier query was that it was a worthwhile option to have, though we have never used it as a dining table, as some people claimed is its intended purpose. In fact, we rarely use it unfolded. We found it most useful at those times where we would feed a touring cyclist at our campsite, which would increase the number of pots and pans in use - the RFT gave us convenient additional workspace for that purpose. A big downside for us is that we travel with our dog, and she can get her leash wrapped around the table leg, and has caused it to crash on many occasions.

Recently we had to hit the road in a hurry to respond to a family emergency. In doing so, we failed to load either the RFT or the Side Table, giving us our first opportunity to see whether traveling without either of them was better or worse. Luckily, we did pack a small aluminum folding table, which we ended up using whenever we needed to remove our Dometic to fully access the stove. The Side Table is a much better option for the Dometic, but using the camp table inspired us to consider reconfiguring the Side Table to better suit our needs. I'll be posting about that in the future.

As for the RFT, I'd have to say that, at least for us as dog owners, it is an option that we could have left off the build of our camper. While we've made good use of it for the 8 years that we've owned our camper, we are likely to leave it at home in the future.

Anyone wanting to hedge their bets as to whether they might need or want it might inquire with Cary to see if it is possible to pay to add the outside mounting hardware to the build without purchasing the table assembly (and that it would be possible to purchase the table assembly as an accessory in the future, if desired).

By the way, we had solved the problem of the dog accidentally collapsing the table leg by adding an eye bolt to the end of the leg and staking it to the ground. That worked about 90% of the time, but at times the campsite was configured such that we had to set it up over a hard surface and could not use the stake.

2. Old_Prospector

Old_Prospector Junior Ranger

Photos below show showed position of table extension and camping hardware used.

View attachment upload_2021-4-7_13-38-1.png

View attachment upload_2021-4-7_13-37-1.png

The table extension is attached to the trailer frame, behind and under the propane tank (left photo). There are two clamps (right photo shows the detail of one), stamped GH-201-B (you can find on Amazon, searching with “GH-201-B Clamp”). One clamp is on each side of the propane tank, screwed to the frame cross member. I drilled and tapped holes into the cross member to secure the clamp with screws. I originally ordered 4 clamps (right photo is of one clamp never used) and the ones used to secure the extension as shown in the left photo have been in place since fall 2018, and travelled over 12,000 miles in 2019. The hook on the table extension is to hang a trash bag.

I rarely use the table extension while one night camping going from point A to point B. However, the extension is well used during multiple night stays at a preplanned destination campground. The modification came about as I found that having the extension strapped to the table was inconvenient. It adds weight for removing the table from the stowed position and hinders setting up table just to get at the cooler to add ice and/or groceries.

Actually, I’m experimenting with leaving the large table at home and just using the small “cooler” table at the location where the large table normally attaches. Most campgrounds have a picnic table, and I really don’t need to carry two tables. Both small and large tables interchange with the trailer hardware and both fit the extension. I travel solo, so what works for me, may not be a good solution for others.